Great danes and the flock

Quote:
We had a bloat scare with our dane already. Hated the whole experience - I was up all night. We faithfully follow an hour rest before and after eating, food bowl is elevated, and when he goes outside after the hour of eating his activity is limited. Even with these precautions - we still had a scare of vomiting, burping, drooling, discomfort, etc. It took hours to work through.

BTW, I talked to a vet that night - ever hear of giving gas-x to a dane with onset of excess gas or possible bloat?

Quote:
it will work with a Dane..i do it to mine when i need to...and i also use a prong collar on him sometimes....it is basically like you are 'biting" them...i jerk it up hard *but not TOO hard* and i dont let off the pressure until he submits..which is only a second...*i didnt raise my dog*...so he tried us when we first rescued him...because he had no training where he came from... he tried to be the pack leader...get on my bed (without our permission) and not get off and growl at my hubby when he told him to get down....LOL....now he knows where he stands in our house and is a sweet baby....but...i aint gonna say i wasnt scared having a 140# strange dog on my bed growling at me...but we never backed down.. walked up to the bed....grabbed the lead attached to his prong collar and gave it a jerk....said "down!" and he moved quick!...so..even though they arent wolfs..they still have that natural instinct...you have to be the pack leader..

Quote:
I would find it hard to believe that he was 9m in that picture. He looks fully developed. And, OMG, a 235# yearling? Danes take a full 2 years to develop to full size.

Last edited:
Quote:
We had a bloat scare with our dane already. Hated the whole experience - I was up all night. We faithfully follow an hour rest before and after eating, food bowl is elevated, and when he goes outside after the hour of eating his activity is limited. Even with these precautions - we still had a scare of vomiting, burping, drooling, discomfort, etc. It took hours to work through.

BTW, I talked to a vet that night - ever hear of giving gas-x to a dane with onset of excess gas or possible bloat?

yes, i have heard of it..i asked the vet about it also....she said she cant 'legally" give me that advice..because its not a standard treatment...BUT..that she HAD heard of it also..and that it would not hurt him to give it to him..so..and i did that night..and did the other night also...

what the vet said i may be a little off on the age in the pic though. 235 Lbs weight.
Think ya made typo) look at his head perportioned to his body. he might have been a little over a year in the pic. not much more.

Obviously, positive results. I'd be interested in hearing how it worked, how soon the symptoms cleared, and discomfort subsided. I didn't have any in the house and there were no stores open within 40 minutes (and I wasn't about to leave him alone in case it got worse). I looked into getting some and keeping it in the house but never did. I probably should.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience. How much did you give?

Here's our boy. Taken in August 2008.

June%2030%2C%202008%20011.JPG

Growing%20animals%206-3-08%20036.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom