Great danes and the flock

Wow! Interesting and scary thread.

I own a Dane and have no problems with chickens or our cats. Our dogs are not leashed nor controlled by electric fence or collars. They were / constantly trained with positive reinforcement. They respond to verbal and non-verbal commands. As mentioned before - they know we are the alpha.

We have 2 dogs (1 dane; 1 shepherd / hound mix) and 2 cats indoors. Both are fine with the cats and we leave them alone all of the time and don't separate the four. When the dogs go outside - they leave the chickens alone. When they were first introduced to the chickens they were guided through the process. Told to sit, and they watched the chickens. We would walk toward the chickens and they were given constant voice / non-verbal commands. Never once, have we had a problem with them going after the chickens. We even post them to help us get them in the coop! Don't get me wrong - when the dogs are running and having fun they love to run up to the chickens and give a good pounce a few feet before them. We allow this, too. It's clearly understood it's play and it's not an aggressive act. Even the chickens know it and give a good run /chase.

I believe so much is in the training, the relationship with the animal, and who is the pack leader. It has to be the human. Now, if you're thinking my dogs are wimps - no way! They are also trained so that I can give a whispered command and they go circling the house (inside or out) barking and protecting. They understand that command to be an 'on alert' command.

Now, every new animal we get we have to train them to interact with and around. We just allowed a barn cat to take residence in the barn. The first time they saw her - they wanted to rip her head off because they knew she didn't belong there. They are currently being trained to interact with her.

I have to say I am shocked to hear some of the comments made in this thread. I also have to question the health of the dane if it's really 235#s - that's probably a very overweight dog. Our dane is 37" at the shoulder - he's very tall. He weighs in about 147#. He's ideal weight, lean and trim.

Anyway - it can be done. Maybe not always with dogs that are still being breed for their instinctual qualities.

Last edited:
Quote:
Danes were boar hunters. A deer isn't a problem.

Please, please don't let you dane stand on his hind legs! It's terrible for their backs and hips.

I guess I'll stop now before I get on the subject of bloat ....

*sigh*

Quote:
Danes were boar hunters. A deer isn't a problem.

Please, please don't let you dane stand on his hind legs! It's terrible for their backs and hips.

I guess I'll stop now before I get on the subject of bloat ....

*sigh*

ooh bloat!..the horror of my life!....my biggest fear with mine...he was a rescue..and so i didnt have him when he got neutered...or i would have had his stomach tacked..like i did with my Saint Bernard...my Dane has already almost bloated once...and my vet told me that the new statics were..that close to 50% of Danes bloat....
ep.gif

Before getting any more chickens have a secure pen, coop, run, or pen the dog. Dogs are miserable penned, chickens are not. If he ate 12 in 2 hours and he is a adult dog I doubt you can break him.

I have 3 dogs 2 of them are wolf hybrids. I did have 3 wolves but put one down a few years back when he started clearing a 4 ft fence and was not the least bit friendly to strangers. As much as we loved Shiloh for the safety of people we made a tough decision.

The two remaining I have no problems with but then my chickens and ducks are penned. When I am around they would never take a bird, but I don't trust them behind my back. Just their nature.

Never take a 2X4 to a dog, not only could it land you in jail, a dog that size would most certainly kill you if it turned. Now I do discipline my wolves, but I do it in the way they understand as a alpha male. That means growling at them and even fake biting them. Grab by nape of neck and shake while growling. They are completely obedient, and very loving as they know their place. This might not work with a dane but you must establish that you are the alpha.

He has to learn you are the boss.

Does he sit on command?

Maybe he needs to start learning the land he's limited to - our dogs are not allowed to roam all of our property. They have one area where they do their business and another area where they play.

Maybe he needs to go on a leash for a while and start walking with you to start the learning process.

yea he knows im boss, and he does most commands, some said he was an adult but he is only 9mths in the pic. 1 yr now, its when were outta sight the puppy in him comes out

Back
Top Bottom