Great danes and the flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cw, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i see that i am not the only one with a great dane, how do they do with your alls chickens? like mine ( i am now chicken less) or do they do pretty good? I had to introduce chickens to dog not vice versa, I believe i will have to do it again this spring any suggestions? dozer my dane ate 12 chickens in 2 hrs? as fast as he could catch them? he went 235 lbs at the vets office last visit?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Danes and chickens.......... good luck. They are bad news.

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    always ask...WHAT was that breed of dog BRED to do???? great dane..
    hhmmm.. my book says it was bred as a WAR dog.. and/or a large game HUNTING dog.... even tho today, we breed them for companions, they are STILL predators, and they were bred to help us kill things..
    so with that said... NO danes and chickens dont work..

but they are dogs and they are SMART so with INTENSIVE training, it could work.. but most people dont/wont put the time into that kind of training.

4. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea i didnt think he would work? after he got our rirs, a good friend has always wanted him probably let them have em

5. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    If you want a big dog to guard chickens a Great Pyrenees is the best dog for the job. we have 4.

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Just properly fence your birds and you won't have a bad dog any longer [​IMG]

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I have dobermans and chickens. I also have secure pens. [​IMG]

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    the great dane has very short hair and has to be kept inside when temps drop below 40.
    as far a pen its hard to build one or buy a kennel he wont destroy

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    HOTWIRE is our friend (for a large dog, you need the hores/cow box, dont even bother with the dog box)... ZZAAPP.. arroooarrroooarrooo.. they usually test it twice, and then NEVER again...
    yup.. good fence with 3 strands of hotwire... dogs wont get in and kill your girls...

just remember if you get a flock guarding dog, it is not your pet.. it has to be raised in the barn/coop, not your house..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I would never leave any dog alone with my chickens, Great Dane or other. With that said, I had a Great Dane and she was the best dog we've ever had and I've had lots of animals.

We got our Dane when my daughter was an infant. My husband brought her home as a surprise and I was so afraid of having one with my baby around I wanted him to return her. It was a Friday night and I made him promise to return her on Monday morning.

Through the weekend he convinced me to give her a chance and long story short, we ended up keeping her.

I was extremely careful with the kids around her at first but over time I grew to be comfortable with her. As the kids grew and learned to walk, they fell on her, grabbed her ears or tail as they toddled, sat on her (of course, I corrected the kids for that...didn't want to torture the dog) and hugged her and kissed her...she never blinked or flinched. That dog never growled in her life. The most lethal thing on her was that long whip of a tail lol.

We grew to love that dog as much as any human member of our family. RIP Missy. It's so sad they live such short lives.

Anyway, my point being...Great Danes can be great pets number one, and number two I would be careful with any dog around the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by