Great Pyr Puppy Problem

Absolutely. You made a good point - I didn't make it clear that I do train mostly with positive reinforcement. I just wanted to make it perfectly clear that I do correct and I think a well timed fair correction is a good thing. And yes, I do not train every dog or every breed the same way. I have met dogs in class that I told the handler not to correct because they were so soft. And I have also met dogs in class that the owner would not correct and they were monsters.

Dog training used to be very harsh when the Koehler method was the accepted way. Now the pendulum has gone to the other extreme and lots of folks think you should never correct a dog. I feel the best way to train a dog is a fair balance of praise and correction, depending on the dog's behavior.

We have a training facility in town who advertises no physical corrections are ever made AND they specialize in training bull breeds. When I have visited this facility, I had a dog (mix breed) that was trained there lunge for my face. One of the trainers was taking agility at our place and had to remove her dog from the field when an unfamiliar dog came onto the field. I was not impressed.

Hey Brindle, sorry, I should have made it clear that I wasn't commenting on how you or Redyre train, just elaborating on some good points you both made about finding that balance of rewards and corrections.
big_smile.png
That it can be hard to find the balance for each dog between corrections and rewards, especially when so many methods out there seem to demand that one way to apply to all breeds and individuals.

Back
Top Bottom