Great Pyranese...another idea I got from this site.

Where I live many people use GPs for livestock protection/pets. If you're not interested in registered dogs it's easy to find quality family-raised dogs from long lines of family LGDs for about $100. People here breed their good dogs to get future generations of good dogs for their farms. I'm betting the same thing occurs in your area.

That is just a portion of the application and interview process, and I am just using it as an example to show why sometimes, even though I know it is with good intentions, the rescue organizations are just looking for safe permanent homes for these dogs, they are overdoing it a bit much....it puts me off, and I am a good caretaker, I'm at least mediocre
wink.png
??

I have a vet, but I prefer to provide as much care as I can myself, I even give my own vaccinations......

I have had the Large animal vet test my Llama's poo, but he's never felt the need to come to my property? No one has been hurt or sick enough yet, but I have the number handy, and he's very open to phone consultation. Plus the internet is a wealth of information about animal husbandry!

I want the dog to live outside with my pets, but be able to be part of the family, as my other pets are....But it's still a dog....a livestock guardian dog....it will need to be trained to respect the boundaries of our property, but on my property, it would be enclosed in the pet area....that has an 5' wire fence with electric wire at the base....and over 1/4 acre of additional brush and ground to run about on. But what if my fence it too wobbly, or my brush it too stickery???

Like I said, it makes me feel like an evil dog mom, and I may just skip it, or get a puppy to train myself. Right now we're setting up security cameras, DH already ran power to the pet area for me, and soon, lights camera action!! I can see whats going on!!

Tina

Last edited:
And people ship dogs, also is something to think about. I shipped my pups all over the US. A good dog who is exposed to several animals while pups usually turn out to be great guard dogs(GPs that is not sure about other breeds). Most people who have them for livestock guards do not really care about the papers as much as what type of guards their parents were. At least that is what I have found placing my pups. I am also with you as I do a great deal of my own vet work. Heck our vet does not treat chickens and does know the true value of an Arabian who'll stand still for shots or most anything else. Goats?? not sure how many he has even treated. So unless it is something I can not stitch up or medicate then I'll take them in. But I did work for one and learned a good deal plus dealing daily with our animals I know when things our out of sink...Hope you find a GP if that is what you want.

Eeek! That list makes me wonder if they ever adopt anything out!

As for GP's, they sound like they could be great for their jobs, but LOTS of time and training would be needed. Else, it almost seems like a dog that size could easily cause too much trouble if time and training escapes. Maybe some day I'll have time for such things.

That list makes me wonder if they ever adopt anything out!

Having met some of the rescue folks...Often, the answer is no, sadly. There are many good people doing rescue but unfortunately some hoarders. I did end up getting a puppy from a breeder because the local rescue lady was not, uh, playing with a full deck.

it almost seems like a dog that size could easily cause too much trouble if time and training escapes

Word. Wordy W. McWorderson. Lots N lots N lots of training. And patience. And treats. And try not to mind a whole lot when they make bad mistakes, such as playing with your rooster until it's got air sac injuries. Puppies in training screw up, it's what they do. Once they have screwed up everything possible, forgotten everything possible, and broken everything they can break, they are finally ready to learn how to behave properly. *sigh*​

Back
Top Bottom