1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

green legs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickies, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Chickies

Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    Do campines come in green legs? I have two chicks that I'm pretty sure are golden campines, one has slate-blue legs but the other has green legs--like, really green. Anyone have knowledge to impart? (i do have some pics, but i've still got to upload them)

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
  3. Chickies

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    ok, here's a picture of the two together
    [​IMG]

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yep, you ended up with a mixed bird.

Green legs is an indicator of yellow skin, campines must have white skin and someone crossed their birds with something yellow skinned.

Green legs can pop out generations down the road and is a real problem to get rid of.

5. Chickies

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    thanks for the info! I don't care whether or not it's purebred, but i was just curious. i got them from meyer hatchery in the rainbow pullet pack. it's fun figuring out what i've got [​IMG]

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Look at the comb, if they are in a small cup shape they are Buttercups, they sure look alot like my Buttercup hens; which have green legs. I can post pics if you need me to later.

7. Chickies

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    I"m pretty sure she has a single comb--but I'll look again. They did have slightly different coloring as baby chicks--the one had spots (which is what a golden campine chick looks like) and the other had the brown back with white stripes on either side--i dunno if that means anything (they're so cute [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

8. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:I thought they were very similar looking-the Campines have the darker feather pattern on the wings that the buttercup does, but also have that same pattern half way down the breast and legs. the Buttercups entire breast has the gold feathers with speckles.
    My buttercup also has willow colored legs but I think they should they be yellow, correct?
    From the Campine pictures I've seen-those birds look like Campines and not Buttercups.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hey Chickies, were in NE Fl are you,I'm in Middleburg.[​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Buttercups should have willow legs, not yellow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by