Green poo....And ostracism.

chickenlibraria

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
Hi All:
I have a chicken that is 1 year old who recently was ostracized from the group. I don't know why she was ostracized. She recently started molting and I'm wondering if that's why. I have 3 partridge rocks and 5 barred rocks. Three of the barred rocks are ganging up on one of the partridge rocks. The partridge rock hangs by herself in the coop and will not join the other girls. I've been feeding her a mix of oatmeal, sunflower seeds, blueberries, and layer feed. Now she pooping green. The other girls get the exact same food. They have all free-ranged the same amount. The green poo just started today. Everyone seems very healthy other than the partridge rocks molting.

Any words of wisdom?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. Anyone have suggestions on what to do about a hen that's been ostracized by the group for no apparent reason?

Okay. So after lots of research and some help from Instagram, I've decided to pull out the 3 aggressors. So far that has worked, but it's only been less than an hour. My plan is to keep the 3 bullies out for a few days and then reintroduce them one-by-one a few days apart. If that doesn't work then I guess the one that is getting ostracized will have to go. The green poo seems to have fixed itself. I'm still not sure what that was about.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any responses here. Did I post in the wrong forum?? No one here has any experience with this??

Separating the bullies is a good idea. It usually works best, if it's going to work, if they are out of sight and hearing of the main flock. It can vary greatly in amount of time separated to be effective. I'd do a week and see if it helps, then maybe longer if it doesn't.
The green poo could have just been from something eaten. Various berries and greens can cause color changes that are not always recognizable as the original food itself. If you see this again, suspend all treats and see if it goes back to normal. Another reason for being 'ostracized' or attacked is that the victim may be ill or weak and the other birds recognize it. It may not be obvious to you, so I would keep a close eye on her to see if there is more going on. Last suggestion, if you have never wormed, or have not in a while, see if your vet will do a fecal float test to check for parasites (many vets will do this even if they don't see birds). Worms can cause changes in droppings or could be a cause of weakness/ill health that may not be obvious. Not terribly expensive to rule it in or out as an issue.

Thank you! Separating the bullies has worked on getting the other girl back into the flock. Now I'll have to see how the reintroduction of the bullies goes.

Back
Top Bottom