Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

I can't wait to get my veggie garden started. I bought some tomatoes and bell peppers today. I have to put them in pots though because I have an awful gopher problem. I saw a gopher pull one of my ganzanias down into it's hole today. Ooooh those gophers make me so mad! They've destroyed my yard but I'm afraid to poison them because of my dogs. Any tips?

Shotguns work real good on them, aim for the head.

Im itching bad. Ordered some cedar boards to make raised beds. Has anyone dabbled with raised beds?

Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif

We're using mostly raised beds since our soil is so rocky, here in the Ozarks. I've got two, 5' x 20' raised beds. We used trees, that we cut down when we cleared the garden spot from our woods, for borders.

Im itching bad. Ordered some cedar boards to make raised beds. Has anyone dabbled with raised beds?

I absolutely insist on raised bed gardening. See the pics to follow. A two by four foot bed works well and allows me to work one bed at a time, increasing the size of the garden as time and money allow. The white plastic fencing keep rabbits out just fine.

Now for the gopher thing. You might try dried blood into the hole or if you have a male in the house use urine poured down the hole. Drove the ground hog out from under my coop. You could use a trap designed for mink and weasels. This involves a rat trap inside a box or under a wooden box. Youtube will show you how to make one.

Before and after pics of my weeding between the beds so far this year. I use a cordless weed whacker but think a more powerful one would have done a better job. Of course keeping it weeded into the winter would have been better, but I am old.

What I like is that since no one had trampled the soil down, weeding is easy. I planted spinach and swiss chard and did not need a tool to work the soil. Just my bare hands. There is of course no sharp rocks to deal with either.

Forgot to ask anyone grow Asparagus?

Last edited:
What I like is that since no one had trampled the soil down, weeding is easy. I planted spinach and swiss chard and did not need a tool to work the soil. Just my bare hands. There is of course no sharp rocks to deal with either.

Forgot to ask anyone grow Asparagus?

Between last year and this year I've planted 500 ft of asparagus. About 60 feet this is the 2nd year, the rest is all first year in, about half planted in roots and about half planted in seeds.

Back
Top Bottom