Grief of one of my chickens (graphic) need help, I'm filled with hate

Jayecookie

Songster
Oct 15, 2017
Cooper City, Florida
I am filled with hate. My girl was healing, it had been 2.5 weeks and her wound was looking so much better. believe me, it was extravagant to see. but... she died. very recent actually. i'm still grieving as i'm writing this. I know exactly how she died. Besides her being a little malnourished as she could have gotten a little more food. It was my mother fault. That makes it my fault because im in charge of their actions. My sister was the one who caused the accident. My mother was the one who ended up killing it though. She suggested that we have the chicken in the house and stop wrapping her wound, i said yes because the scab was dried and a protective barrier. My mom however bought a new cream and put it on her wound without my consent. This cream made the scab soften and made it permeable. This with the continued added affect of not wrapping the wound, caused an infection (from the air) to seep into her wound and perhaps into her bloodstream.

A88CC606-EF6D-4908-B395-0C2B5C46703B.jpeg

(this is her wound two days after the incident before the maggots)

RIP Queen Elizabeth the first

I'm sorry your chicken died, but this is not a reason to hate anyone. It was a chicken. (Yes, I'm sure she was your pet. Yes, I do have chickens. I don't like it when mine die either.) Your mom was trying to help. There may have been some underlying problems that you don't know about. Your mom is there with you forever. She has raised you, fed you, clothed you and housed you. Changed your diapers and kissed your boo boos when you were little. She has sacrificed much for you. Show a little gratitude and respect. If you don't want her handling your chickens, find your own place and do it all yourself.

Infections don't just come from the air. They develop in the body when bacteria are introduced. They don't just appear in the air. Bacteria can come from our hands, the bedding, anything that comes in physical contact with the wound. The infection could have been inside her even before the scab formed. Don't blame your mom. You need to understand that sometimes chickens die even when they appear to be doing fine or getting better. They are very good at hiding their symptoms.

I'm sorry your chicken died, but this is not a reason to hate anyone. It was a chicken. (Yes, I'm sure she was your pet. Yes, I do have chickens. I don't like it when mine die either.) Your mom was trying to help. There may have been some underlying problems that you don't know about. Your mom is there with you forever. She has raised you, fed you, clothed you and housed you. Changed your diapers and kissed your boo boos when you were little. She has sacrificed much for you. Show a little gratitude and respect. If you don't want her handling your chickens, find your own place and do it all yourself.

Infections don't just come from the air. They develop in the body when bacteria are introduced. They don't just appear in the air. Bacteria can come from our hands, the bedding, anything that comes in physical contact with the wound. The infection could have been inside her even before the scab formed. Don't blame your mom. You need to understand that sometimes chickens die even when they appear to be doing fine or getting better. They are very good at hiding their symptoms.

I agree whole heartedly with Bobbi-J.
I also suspect an internal infection that no amount of antibiotic wouldve treated it.
Forgive your sister and forgive your mom. They love you. Sorry for your loss.

I am sure your mom and sister feel terrible already. Sometimes it is hard to know what treatment is best for our chickens and sometimes there is nothing we can do to help them. It is very hard to lose a beloved pet.

I wasted many years hating my mom, I even moved across the country so I would not have to be around her. As I got older I spent more time repairing our relationship and forgiving her. She died last summer and I am so glad she knew I loved her no matter what happened in our past.

Back
Top Bottom