Grit for ducks

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
I have a silly question as a fairly new duck mum. (My two are young, but I'll soon be taking on a rescue duck temporarily)
What kind of grit is best for adult ducks?
Is mixed chicken grit suitable? It has calcium in it, so is that suitable, and would that be enough calcium? Or is it best to do basic grit and calcium offered separately? I ask because I can't find any grit without calcium in it. I'm a little worried about offering too little or too much!
Also I've heard people use wheat in the bottom of their water buckets, is that beneficial to do?

It's not a good idea to offer oyster shells to nonlaying birds. Just plain ole grit is best.
When I was researching about Runner ducks before I added them to my flock that was one of the things that were mentioned putting wheat in their water. I can't see any problem with doing that. If you have access to wheat that hasn't been treated. I can't find any here and shipping is too expensive.

It's not a good idea to offer oyster shells to nonlaying birds. Just plain ole grit is best.
When I was researching about Runner ducks before I added them to my flock that was one of the things that were mentioned putting wheat in their water. I can't see any problem with doing that. If you have access to wheat that hasn't been treated. I can't find any here and shipping is too expensive.
thats fair, just to clarify- I dont mean calcium mixed grit for my young ducks, I mean for the adult

Would calcium mixed grit work for an adult layer or does it need to be plain grit with calcium separate? I cant find any plain fot adult ducks

Is it mixed half and half? I've never seen offered here grit /oyster shell mixed. I buy each separately. As long as their egg shells are nice and thick I'd say it's probably fine. If you start to noticed thin shell or no shell you might want to add extra oyster shell to the mix.

I offer grit and oyster shells separately. I have never seen my ducks eat from their grit bowl, however when they are producing eggs they gobble up the oyster shell in big mouth fulls after every few bites of duck pellets. When they are about to lay eggs, and for a few days after they have stopped laying they still eat a little - so I just leave oyster shells out all the time (during the day, in a covered area, near water.) They just know when to eat them.

Edit: I bought mine on chewy.com

First. I'd like to say HAPPY EASTER to all the duck and chicken people/helpers etc. May you all have good/healthy hatches!!!!!!!!!!
Second: When my ducklings first hatch & are ready to eat, (after their tiresum exit) I give them some corn meal. They love it . After a day or two they're ready for the real stuff (duck food) They've been doing real well.

First. I'd like to say HAPPY EASTER to all the duck and chicken people/helpers etc. May you all have good/healthy hatches!!!!!!!!!!
Second: When my ducklings first hatch & are ready to eat, (after their tiresum exit) I give them some corn meal. They love it . After a day or two they're ready for the real stuff (duck food) They've been doing real well.
Happy easter!!!
generally I think it's best to feed duckling feed (for their age) from the start, those first days and weeks are super important to ensure they get all their nutrients!

Back
Top Bottom