Gross! Cracked egg to eat and there was a chick!

We gather our eggs daily and the ones that are to be sold are stored in baskets in the basement where it's cooler. The eggs that I keep are stored in a basket on my counter. I never refrigerate them but then again they don't last very long. I would be leery leaving them sit at 90 degrees though because it is possible.

Quote:
Thank you! I will start refridgerating them, at least until the weather cools down. When I start selling I will put those in the refridgerator right away.

Kids on a farm encounter 'chicknegg' on a regular basis. Hens hide nests, fact of life. My mom taught us early to always crack eggs into a cup first, THEN add them to the pan or bowl.

My Grandpa never minded eating the 'chickneggs' but it always grossed the rest of us out.

fertalized eggs are fine but i couldnt eat the egg with chicken in it. I thought my son mixing a hard boiled egg in the dozen i sold was bad. I think you should let her know somehow

wow thats interesting you still eat the eggs from nest that you find and dont know how old the eggs are? I would throw them out myself..........

Well I must admit I thought this was a little far fetched--until this weekend when I was making deviled eggs. Apparently one of the two broodies must have knocked out an egg--and it was mixed with the new ones (my other hens sometimes lay in proximity to the filled nest box ) So I gathered it up. Mind you I gather a couple of times a day. Needless to say I knew something was wrong when the inside of the egg shell was a little off in color and the membrane was thicker...all I can say is YUCK!
I must admit I am a little scared cracking eggs since Saturday. And to think I boiled it
sickbyc.gif

I am new chicken owner and anticipating eggs soon. It sounds like many of you do not refridgerate your eggs...is there a benifit to not putting in the fridge? I am a worry wort when it come to food safey so I just assumed then went straight in the fridge.

I would say benefits to not putting in the fridge would be you're saving space in the fridge. Not a big concern if you don't have tons coming in every day.

It's been years since I saw it, but I remember a documentary or news story about supermarkets not refridgerating eggs.

Between that, what I've read here and the Mother Earth News article, refridgerating eggs would help increase shelf life. So your eggs that would only last 2mnths on the counter could still be usable after 6mnths in the fridge. So with store bought eggs being possibly 1-2mnths old before they even get them to the store could be kept sellable longer if refridgerated. Or something to that effect. Now this is providing it's not 100* in your house.

I know I've always been told for the best results when baking to use room temperature eggs.

Unless you're stocking up for winter slowdown or molting or you don't plan to use them for 3-4mnths, I'd say refridgerate. If you have the fridge space and your more comfortable keeping them in the fridge, then by all means do so.

If you're like us, we go through them about as fast as they can lay them. Funny how we never came close to that kind of consumption with store bought. No need to refridgerate.

Do what's comfortable for you and yours.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom