gross vent on chick (new pic 4/6) ** warning: graphic pix **

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
Hi,

One of my 2~3 wk. old chicks has had a lot of vent problems, starting with pasty butt, then a few days ago some scabs (she picks at own herself). Now the scabs are gone but things don't look right. I've kept her clean, and have been applying ointment 3-4x a day (triple antibiotic). The skin well below the vent is sort of a bluish color as well.

vent.jpg

Additionally, she is the smallest chick of the bunch. She eats and drinks apparently normally. She seems to have some difficulty pooping sometimes.

I wondered about the possibility of parasites or mites or infection? She's such a friendly little thing, if there's anything I can do for her, please let me know. The only treat she's had for several days is a tiny bit of yogurt - 13 chicks split about a TBSP per day mixed in with their chick starter.

I also wonder if she could be allergic to milk or possibly to the topical antibiotic salve? I tried olive oil, and it didn't look like it was doing as much good as the antibiotics.

Thanks,
Michelle

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like her yolk hasn't completly absorbed. I had a br I hatched and the intestines eventually fell out. I really hope I'm completely wrong about this. Good luck

If it was her yolk...wouldn't it be more towards her mid stomach and not her vent? Or am I totally wrong? I've never seen anything like this, so I am sorry if it's wrong of me to ask questions on your post....

I would put a drop or two of Listerine on it,
It is safe and is a wicked germ killer.

"NOT MINTY SCOPE" The real yellowish nasty tasteing stuff

No I'm not a Doctor/Vet and I don't even play one on TV.

Yea, I would kind of the the cultures in the yogurt would be combating the antibiotics...
I think treats need to wait until she's older, especially if she is exhibiting any problems. I NEVER would have thought of the listerine, but thought makes alot of sense.
Also, crazy as it may sound I, personally, have seen alot of good w/apple cider vinegar....mix 1 tblspn per gallon of water.

sad.png
I am sorry you are having these problems.But I had one just about 6wks ago.It was right when it was born.But I put neosporin on it and kept it on it and kept the chick by itself and irt soon got well.But it was not nearly that bad.Then I just had another one that was living real good and could not get out of shell and its cord was stuck to its shell,and I tried real careful to help it out and I accidentally cut it too short,but the yolk and everthing on its inside was coming out and I could not handle that.
I think I would contact a vet,better safe than sorry.They can tell you what to do and won`t charge probably anything.Good Luck,I am really sorry!!!!! Sandra

Yes, they are not getting milk except for the little bit in the TBSP of yogurt that they share.

re: Yogurt - I have read on breeder's sites that small amounts are recommended for chicks for the probiotic content. The larger chicks snarf more of it than she does, and they are fine. I don't think that small of an amount could cause a problem itself unless she's allergic to it.

The yellowish stuff to me looks like softened up scabs. If you have ever had a scab and put on antibiotic ointment - then put a bandaid over it - it looks like that. But the vent itself looks swollen.

Maybe Prep H would dry it out and help it heal up better than triple antibiotic? I am not so opposed to listerine, but I'd think the alcohol would really sting that scabby stuff. I could try betadine surgical scrub.

I have read that chicks can be constipated. Could she be constipated from eating a wood chips? I'd think passing woodchips might not do her vent any good.

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom