Ground Hog's Day Hatch

Hope your little chick is alright. Doesn't it figure that one you want is the one that gets hurt?

I'm still hoping my with my late lockdown and I haven't screwed up. Still waiting to see if I get any more pips from the eggs past due. Sitting here marking eggs that will go in in the morning after I weigh this giant sucker.

I was comparing some of my first of the season FBCM eggs with some I ordered and they are just a shade darker than the ordered ones. Two are a shade lighter. Hope the paint kicks on darker soon. Oh and you guys have to read the thread I posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ie-ended-up-with-a-surprise/0_20#post_8337481

Chick #1 just died. Wish I would have gotten up earlier before it got caught in the carton and couldn't get straight. The only purebred to hatch so far.

One of the three remaining pips is zipping now... an FBCM egg...another Olive egger from my coop.

One WMR is pipped and one purebred BW Am egg (first one to pip) is still there... but the hole is a tiny bit bigger.

no other pips.
sad.png

I have 4 more pips and 1 zip. 2 others eggs uninvoled, and 1 that started to weep so I got it the heck outta there. I got the 2 that hatched in the booder, and the 2 early quitters making up my 12. With 3 out of the running, my hatch rate has dropped. In other farm news...We had one doe give birth to twins. Took her awhile to decide they were hers, but she's all over it after I got her colostrum down into them. Both kids nursing fine and being super cutie pies. Have another doe that will probably give birth today (may have happened last night as I haven't been out to check, I know! Lazy farmer!!). She looks big enough for triplets. All our other does are pregnant as well, just not ready to pop. I'm still faithfully hand turning 11 Emu eggs. 13 EO's and 2 partridge wyandottes go into lockdown on Saturday for our staggered hatch. DH brought hoAwme 2 GOS piglets last Saturday. We are experiencing an early Spring explosion here. Awe, Spring in February. Much better than Christmas in July.

Sad news about your chick #1 but chin up Mahonri! Survival of the fittest. You did as much as you could. You cant blame yourself! At least you have some babies and some pips to keep a close eye on
smile.png
I'm sure you have more pips to come.

I'm off to bed. Work in the morning. I know I keep saying it but 'I don't go into lockdown til sunday.. and out of the 10 eggs in the bator I only have hopes that 2 are alive!'........

#4 is out. #5 is out (wasn't even pipped 20 minutes ago) Both Olive Eggers from my coop out of FBCM eggs.
ETA: #5 zipped at the bottom of the egg... who knows when it was pipped! Weird!
1 OE to go from my coop.

So I now have 4 live chicks. All Olive Eggers from my coop (one is 3/4 Am, 1/4 Wheaten Marans)

1st pip still hasn't progressed (purebred Am from my coop)

2 WMR eggs are pipped now.

Last edited:
Nothing pipping --- nothing zipping

Grabbed a random egg, candled it, no internal pip but I can detect random , movement. With the temp control problems of the last week, no telling when or if , they'll bust out. I was encouraged, because with the wide variance of temps 94* to 102*, I figured all was lost.

Plan is to continue to monitor. 21 days for me is 1900 hrs 2/2/12.

I have a chick! I thought for sure it would be gold like his dad, but it is gray.

Sorry Mahonri, that is so sad.

Hey, you know what I realized? See the gold chick in my avatar? He is an olive egger (CM X Amer) who looks like a cream legbar. Anyways, he was an early hatcher and the chicks and pips I have (except one) that are early are from him. One is a full bred Polish, which I've also heard can be early.

Wow, he rolled around like a nut before he finally decided to take a nap, I can see how they might injure themselves. Dodo brains. I think he was looking for someone to cuddle with. He is lonely and keeps waking up and crying and bashing the other eggs around.

Mahonri, can i join the chick insomniac club? I had bad dreams all night. In one of them, my eggs were trapped inside a saltwater taffy box. I had to figure out how to open it, without opening the bator.

The BO-cross pipped, and that was the one that I thought was dead because it went all-black so early. So I guess it really is alive. Oh, another thing that is sort of interesting is the first chick out was from a washed egg.

So, at this time, one chick, six pips from 11 eggs that went into lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom