Ground Hog's Day Hatch

Haven't come in to share this, but I did mention the other day how I lost my little Wheaten Marans chick. Guess what? We had it in a tiny box and my grand daughter and I were going to have a little funeral. I got the hole dug and she was holding the box and we heard a peep! Opened it up and she was just sitting there looking at us. This chick was practically stiff when I took it out of the brooder!!! I had given it some Polyvisol just before it died. I guess that stuff really works. LOL Anyway, she's bad in the brooder. Still just a little sluggish, but she's alive!

But Wait! I was going through all the eggs that didn't hatch. I didn't go in and help this time and wish I had. I'd have another 7 chicks. Anyway I grabbed out one carton and checked it and when I went back in to get the next one I heard a peep! One of my FBCMs had zipped and then shrink wrapped. It's in the bator now, drying off. I finished going through all the other eggs and I'm so disappointed the others didn't hatch, but I have 2 miracle chicks out of this hatch, so that makes it even better I guess.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6153227/user_id/111976

I had my first chick of 2012 hatch! It's a spoiled rotten brat, but I love it anyways~ it's a pure bred americauna. It's a light brown, so it's likely a hen. I called it a 'Mama's Boy' until it, SHE dried off... and I saw its' colour. I have 7 other pips and I hope I get 12 chickies from my hatch. And I have more on the way that're about to pip.

Wolftracks, I'm glad you at least got two! My incubator temperature yesterday was reading 108* on both thermometers and I thought I killed everyone off... I woulda turned super-sailor-mouth. I have 2 that I think they're just late quitters...

TinaK, shouldn't your duckies be hatching? And someone else's chicks too, I think. I dunno, buti bet I'll be the last to have my chicks hatch. Well I hope you do great, those whose eggs haven't hatched yet! Get a move on, chickies!

My chick aims for the eyes and mouth when it pecks... it's gonna be a Little hellion when it gets older... another one... I already have like 5 girls that drive me up the wall...

Has anyone else stopped getting notifications for BYC??? I haven't gotten any since FRIDAY! I have to book-mark all the forums I am subscribed to...

That's such an awesome story wolftracks! I'll bet your granddaughter was super thrilled!
smile.png

Haven't come in to share this, but I did mention the other day how I lost my little Wheaten Marans chick. Guess what? We had it in a tiny box and my grand daughter and I were going to have a little funeral. I got the hole dug and she was holding the box and we heard a peep! Opened it up and she was just sitting there looking at us. This chick was practically stiff when I took it out of the brooder!!! I had given it some Polyvisol just before it died. I guess that stuff really works. LOL Anyway, she's bad in the brooder. Still just a little sluggish, but she's alive!

But Wait! I was going through all the eggs that didn't hatch. I didn't go in and help this time and wish I had. I'd have another 7 chicks. Anyway I grabbed out one carton and checked it and when I went back in to get the next one I heard a peep! One of my FBCMs had zipped and then shrink wrapped. It's in the bator now, drying off. I finished going through all the other eggs and I'm so disappointed the others didn't hatch, but I have 2 miracle chicks out of this hatch, so that makes it even better I guess.

Well, it's lockdown for my 2nd batch of eggs in a staggered hatch. Started with 15 Lav Orps, candled today and tossed 3 that didn't develop. So now I'm down to 12....I saw definite movement in 4 of those so I'm hoping I'll get at least 2 or 3 chicks to hatch this time! I didn't end up with anything in the 1st hatch. I've learned my lesson about staggered hatches and won't be doing that again anytime soon...seems I always have to learn everything the hard way!
hmm.png

Yeah anfd I got this look and a "GRANDMA! You almost buried a perfectly good chick! Shame on you!" LOL Hey! The thing looked dead ok?

1st day of lockdown is over.... and nothing to report
sad.png
I have not seen any movement or anything. I have a bad feeling...

The base of my incubator is all damp. I think a bit too much water got sucked up my face washer and made the floor wet. My humidity is at about 85% so I don't expect it to dry any time soon.

I also think an egg has gone bad or something? (I'd appreciate your thoughts!) It was moving and happy on Saturday but now it has this dark patch with a ring around it showing through the egg? (see left hand side of egg! It's even visible in my photo!!!)

Loved your chick story wolftracks. How lucky that you heard the little cheep! You could have buried it alive! Eik! I can imagine your granddaughters surprise. Happy to hear that you have 2 miracle chicks as well
smile.png
At least you were able to save them. Pity about your others though.

kellyn - I don't have much hope for my poor duckies. I locked down 4 eggs. 3 confirmed moving and 1 that I was not sure about. Now one of the good eggs looks like it went bad overnight or something. I'm pretty disheartened after my power outage last week. I can only hope!

Temped to join Mahonri's BYC Easter hatch along..... but knowing me the bator will be full again by then! (especially if I don't get any to hatch this time around!)

TinaK, sorry about your duckies. Candle them! That's what I do when I'm dot sure. If it's all full with no air bubble you can probably say you've got a stuck duck or a dead one that couldn't pip. I'd personally pop a little hole in the top and check because I'm nosy and have issues with humidity every hatch. I just closely monitor it if it's alive and if it hatches it hatches, if it doesn't it doesn't. And if yours don't hatch, put some more eggs in~ I suck at hatching ducks anyways... the most I've hatched was 2 at a time. Usually it's only 1 because I only put in 2 or 3. That egg in the pictures is dead... I've had eggs like that before.

I got 6 chicks so far! And a few more with pips... I'm woried now because I have school and I don't trust my mom with my incubator. At all.

Temped to join Mahonri's BYC Easter hatch along..... but knowing me the bator will be full again by then! (especially if I don't get any to hatch this time around!)

There are 40 days until the set date for the Easter Hatch-a-long! Plenty of time to get another hatch in before you need to set!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom