Groundhog problem: will coyote Pee scare my chickens

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
So I, unfortunately, have a groundhog problem.

We have been given advice by both Google and other people who have dealt with this to get coyote pee. But I’m nervous it will scare my hens- will it or can I proceed with buying it?

Chickens don't seem to have much of a sense of smell. Their eyesight & hearing is surprisingly keen, though. I've seen them get agitated at what I think is nothing many times, and then a minute or two later a hawk or a low-flying aircraft comes into view and then I'm like "Ohhhhhhhh."

What problem is the groundhog causing? I don't ever remember hearing them being a threat to chickens. I used to have one that came into the yard to eat dandelions every once in a while, but then I got guineas and they decided every mammal not my mom's cat that was bigger than a squirrel had to go.

Maybe you could get some guinea fowl if you don't mind the noise and general weirdness that guineas bring to your life, and then you don't have to handle jars of coyote pee. ;):p

Chickens don't seem to have much of a sense of smell. Their eyesight & hearing is surprisingly keen, though. I've seen them get agitated at what I think is nothing many times, and then a minute or two later a hawk or a low-flying aircraft comes into view and then I'm like "Ohhhhhhhh."

What problem is the groundhog causing? I don't ever remember hearing them being a threat to chickens. I used to have one that came into the yard to eat dandelions every once in a while, but then I got guineas and they decided every mammal not my mom's cat that was bigger than a squirrel had to go.

Maybe you could get some guinea fowl if you don't mind the noise and general weirdness that guineas bring to your life, and then you don't have to handle jars of coyote pee. ;):p
Unfortunately they are trying to get under my house I believe so while they aren’t harming my pets- they can defiantly harm my house 😭- I will defiantly try the coyote pee and see if I can scare them off bc I don’t want to kill the poor things for just doing what’s natural

I also just really didn’t want to scare my chickens if they could smell the pee- but I think we are in the clear

Back
Top Bottom