Grouse in the hen house!

Tundrawooky

Chirping
Aug 17, 2022
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have a resident grouse that eats the seeds and what not a long side my hens, they seem to ignore each other until last night the grouse hopped up into the chicken house since I left the big door open. I thought about closing the door and locking it up with the hens for the night.
Do you know if a wild grouse can live with chickens?

I have a resident grouse that eats the seeds and what not a long side my hens, they seem to ignore each other until last night the grouse hopped up into the chicken house since I left the big door open. I thought about closing the door and locking it up with the hens for the night.
Do you know if a wild grouse can live with chickens?
If Grouse can get in then it's likely just a matter of time before predators (like fox) come around for chicken dinner., whether the grouse stays or not.. I highly recommend locking your coop up at night.

I wouldn't think it's ideal for them to live together.. as they really have different feed requirements.. Hopefully you are feeding your chickens a formulated ration and not just seeds of sorts??

Some places it is illegal to lock up or catch certain species.. here for example.. wild turkeys, I believe.

I don't see any way beyond not free ranging to keep a wild bird from joining your flock if they have chosen to do so.

I might NOT try to make it leave (as animal lover).. or I might (as a flock protector).. but I definitely would not let up with my own flock's protection/security to accommodate a wild bird that has found and chosen to free load off them/me.

How old are your hens? Do you know which variety or gender the grouse is? Got any video?!

Hopefully you will get more feedback and everyone continues to thrive! :fl

The grouse thinks it's a chicken, I'll leave it alone. Id rather lock them all up at night then leave the door open. My neighbor had the same problem a couple years back. He just did business as usually and come winter the grouse left. Who knows maybe my rooster will like her and she can hatch a grouse/chicken hybrid !

The grouse thinks it's a chicken, I'll leave it alone. Id rather lock them all up at night then leave the door open. My neighbor had the same problem a couple years back. He just did business as usually and come winter the grouse left. Who knows maybe my rooster will like her and she can hatch a grouse/chicken hybrid !
Pretty sure the two species are too different to produce viable embryos and chicks

Back
Top Bottom