Growing bananas in containers indoors, overwintering, truly tiny banana plant, and other questions

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I would like to grow edible banana trees but in my zone (zone 6) it is not possible without either bringing indoors or overwintering.
Has anyone had experience with either of the mensioned methods?
How does banana apple, ice cream, or grand nain banana plants do?
What are your favorite varieties to grow?
Has anyone had the "truly tiny" banana tree produce fruit?
Thx,

Dwarf Lady Fingers are what we raised in the back yard (Zone 9b) when I lived in Tampa. In theory, they should do well indoors if you have large pots and at least 8' ceilings. Ours never got taller than maybe 7.5' before they would get freeze damaged to just a foot or two in height. We'd trim and wait for them to regrow the next year.

Popular hiding place for paper wast nests, btw - if you do these in your garage, be aware they are pest magnets - but the fruit make fantastic bananas foster.

Dwarf Lady Fingers are what we raised in the back yard (Zone 9b) when I lived in Tampa. In theory, they should do well indoors if you have large pots and at least 8' ceilings. Ours never got taller than maybe 7.5' before they would get freeze damaged to just a foot or two in height. We'd trim and wait for them to regrow the next year.

Popular hiding place for paper wast nests, btw - if you do these in your garage, be aware they are pest magnets - but the fruit make fantastic bananas foster.
Thank you for this info. If I ever do bananas (I plan too) I will watch out of pests (I didn't think about bugs somehow). Thx,

Back
Top Bottom