Growing fodder for chickens

No soil. I put about 1/2 inch of soaked seeds in the plastic tray. The trays can be purchased at greenhouse/garden supply places. I got mine online.

Couple of questions--how much seed do you need per flat? Pounds? Cups?

I know I would use this fodder to supplement the standard (organic) feed I give my hens. Any recommendations about how many chickens per flat of sprouts?

Hello my name is Keith I am a small market gardener and I also grow micro green , if you spread your seed out in your tray and use a mister to keep them damp and cover the seeds with something dark another tray flipped over or a piece of cardboard just something to keep it dark this will represent the seeds being under soil and help keep them moist as seeds don't need light to germinate , as soon as the seeds sprout remove your light blocker and continue to use your mister I suggest using a small one gallon sprayer purchased from your garden center , I would also suggest buying a heat mat they are very affordable the seed temp or soil temp should be about 70 deg the air temp is not as important, I would also use warm water to mist with , I grow pea greens , sunflower greens and radish greens in about 4 days

I sprout alfalfa and sunflower for my chickens in large sprouting trays. My chickens love it. It makes quite alot of greens per pound of seeds. I will try the wheat and barley too. Here in arizona we have little grass and they need their greens.

I have been sprouting Valor winter barley. It has worked well! My 13 birds love the fresh greens in our harsh Mid Michigan winter.

The bushel of Valor winter barley was $18.00, the six plastic dish tubs from dollar store were $8.00 and I bought 5 1020 trays with holes, 5 without for $20 and five 2" humidity domes for $15.00. I will use these same trays and domes to start my garden vegetables. So far, the best investment I have made for my flock
smile.png
Here is the link to the system I use:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/wsidblog/80359/diy-home-fodder-system

Photos of my set up:

Nothing special, I have a regular shop light fixture set up with grow lamps, shelving in my laundry room. no heat mats and from soak to feeding the chickens is about 8 to 9 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom