Growing greens for chickens

hshsmomx2

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 19, 2012
We live in south Florida in a rural area and our chickens cannot free range due to predators. So we built a large pen to keep everyone in with shade cloth on top for the daytime portion. One downside to the shade cloth is that nothing grows underneath it. I apologise if this seems like a dumb question, but does anyone have suggestions how I can grow greens of any kind for the chickens to eat? Only solution I can think of is to build wooden trays with dirt and try to grow greens ( I do not have a green thumb), but they will be heavy to carry in and out of the coop. There must be a better way. If anyone has found the solution, please let me know. Many thanks.

Stuff grows well in clean 5 gallon buckets. I have some 55 gallon drums cut in half lengthwise that are my raised strawberry beds. doing either just make sure you drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

I give my hens all the garden cuttings.

I grow fodder in dollar tree tubs. I space them out so I have them growing in different stages. Fodder does not require dirt. There are videos on YouTube on how to grow fodder. Also, when I got to the store I grab cilantro which is really cheap here...3 bunches for a buck.

Attachments

• 20200605_084317.jpg
    20200605_084317.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom