Growing like a weed , but no feather's ?

Homestead girl

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Jasper Georgia
This is Drumstick, I think it might be a rooster not sure , all the other chicks have all of their feathers. I put them in the coop already, I kept Drumstick and this other chick not named yet together till he or she grows all the feathers in. They are going on 7 weeks old.
Is this normal ?

are you sure they are 7 weeks old? i have 5 week old chicks right now all of them are pretty much completely feathered out and a lot bigger. what breed are they?
When I bought them I was told they were 4 weeks old so that would put them at 6 weeks now. All of the others have their feathers. But the farm supply where I bought them (Black Jersey Giants ) also sold me the wrong breed the first time. I got sex links the first go round. I then exchanged them for these I also got a surprise this time and it is what looks like a Crevecoeur. At first I thought it was a Polish Crested but I looked at more pictures and I think it is a Crevecoeur.
Any help would be appreciated. This is my first go with chickens and I have 29 total . The other I have are doing exactly as they should I bought those from a different farm supply place and my neighbor sold me some EE.

Whatever they are they have the late feathering gene.
The late feathering gene ? I will have to read up on that. Three are already in the coop . The other chick should be out in the coop but I didn't want the one with out feather's to be alone. So I kept them together.
Is the late feathering gene a common thing ?

Oh poor chickies. I haven't seen anything like that. The featherless chickens in Israel were bred to be that way easier to process.

I'm not really all that up on genetics, but I know there's a late/slow feathering gene and it may be sex linked... Not sure on that part. I had one crele roo that was naked forEVER not really, but he took a loooooong time. Long after his fluff was gone he was still naked. He ended up quite a handsome boy though.

I'm not really all that up on genetics, but I know there's a late/slow feathering gene and it may be sex linked... Not sure on that part. I had one crele roo that was naked forEVER not really, but he took a loooooong time. Long after his fluff was gone he was still naked. He ended up quite a handsome boy though.
I was wondering did you keep your naked chick inside or did you move it out to the coop when you did the others ? I can keep h/she separate in a kennel till it gets it's feathers. But I would like to get it out of the house.

I had/have a slow to feather cockerel as well. I put him out when I did the others (4 weeks & it was cold). Since yours is not "naked" I think it would be fine. At that age they still huddle for warmth so the other chicks will help keep it warm.

Back
Top Bottom