Growth in chicken's mouth

Soooo...update...I took Goldilocks to a vet this morning. Long story short: the vet gassed her and was able to take the mass/plaque off which was all down her trachea and esophagus. Goldie can now close her mouth, thank goodness. She prepared slides to send off to pathology, but at $150, I couldn't do it...as much as I want to. She felt like it is for sure part tumor and maybe canker. She said she would look at the slides herself and see if she can tell. I would love to just spend the $150 and just know. Anyway, she spent the night at the vet and I'll pick her up tomorrow. I knew I was attached to my birds, but I must say, I have been caught off guard at how emotional and stressed out I've been about this!

Thanks to the Tiff part for the update. So glad to hear that the vet got the airway open. Did she have to be put under for the procedure? My husband is a pathologist (who looks at tumors under a microscope,) and even he wouldn't have spent the $150 either to find out if there was a tumor. He would just say "what are we going to do about it--chemo, radiation?" Please keep us updated on her condition because with your first photo this will be very educational for this forum.

Will be happy to update and will get a picture tomorrow. The vet said she used gas to sedate her. I didn't know that's how they "sedate" chickens. One other interesting piece of info...educational...is that the tumor had pulled the esophagus in a way, that it was a miracle that I didn't aspirate her when I was giving her water. Note to those using a syringe or dropper to give water or good: be careful! Pathology report would be nice to determine if it us or is not canker, as well as tumor.

Observe your other chickens closely for the same "tumor."  Remember, canker is mainly spread through waterers.
Will be happy to update and will get a picture tomorrow. The vet said she used gas to sedate her. I didn't know that's how they "sedate" chickens. One other interesting piece of info...educational...is that the tumor had pulled the esophagus in a way, that it was a miracle that I didn't aspirate her when I was giving her water. Note to those using a syringe or dropper to give water or good: be careful! Pathology report would be nice to determine if it us or is not canker, as well as tumor.
Dawg pointed out a good thing--canker is contagious, even to you, so wear gloves. Surley the vet can tell you if it looks like a fungus under the microscope.

Is it contagious to humans?! I googled that a bunch and what I saw... Or what I thought I saw...was that it doesn't pass to humans. I practiced very good hand washing the first time I saw/touched it and used gloves afterwards, but you know how it is...you are just trying to help and who knows. Oh lands a liv'n...that is the very last thing I need. Do you really think it can be passed to humans?
I had John come home and change out the waterer and raise the 2nd one, so that we are only using one and can control it.
Dawg, I agree...behind the "tumor" there was apparently still some plaque...which sounded suspiciously like canker to me. She did say she was going to call her friends in poultry at UGA and discuss, so I'm hopeful to find out more today. Can't thank y'all enough for all of your input.
Tiff

Is it contagious to humans?! I googled that a bunch and what I saw... Or what I thought I saw...was that it doesn't pass to humans. I practiced very good hand washing the first time I saw/touched it and used gloves afterwards, but you know how it is...you are just trying to help and who knows. Oh lands a liv'n...that is the very last thing I need. Do you really think it can be passed to humans?
I had John come home and change out the waterer and raise the 2nd one, so that we are only using one and can control it.
Dawg, I agree...behind the "tumor" there was apparently still some plaque...which sounded suspiciously like canker to me. She did say she was going to call her friends in poultry at UGA and discuss, so I'm hopeful to find out more today. Can't thank y'all enough for all of your input.
Tiff
Actually, I got confused. I was thinking of favus being contagious to humans. Canker is contagious to the other chickens however, and many links I have read suggest using bleach to clean your waterers and feeders. Sorry to alarm you.

Back
Top Bottom