Grrrr... Our furnace is out.. No A/C!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nicole01, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Just great! Our A/C works, but there is no air blowing through the vents! Hubby is at work and it's getting very hot and humid in the house. The only fan I have is in the coop and is staying in there for the girls. It's suppose to be even warmer and muggier tomorrow.

I called my parents and they agreed to take the kids for dinner and a sleep over tonight and possibly tomorrow night. At least they will stay cool until we get this fixed. I certainly am grateful for the days the A/C is working. I hope hubby is able to fix it without buying a new furnace. The furnace is only 9 years old.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What a bummer! Can you run to a store and get a couple of box fans? They're about $10-12 here.

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    We have several rentals & I always try to trouble shoot with them over the phone before my husband drives into town to check on them

Is the outside fan moving? If not go check the breaker to the outside unit

Is the outside unit clean? Spray it inside & out w the garden hose

When is the last time the filter was changed & coils cleaned inside? You can remove the door to the unit & see coils that look like those on a window unit or back of a fridge. Spray them w coils cleaner. About $6-$8 at lowes. I recommend once a yr coils cleaning

One last thing. If the fan outside is blowing, could something (such as our loving great pyrenese) crawled under & tore the duct work loose. Even if it is ran through the attic other animals could have knocked them loose.

Most common things to be replaced is the condenser & fan motor. Less than $100 for you to DIY over $300 for a service call

We did have a condenser arc out this wk, it caused a fuse to blow on the unit. So that could be a possibility too

Best of Luck! I know it is hot & miserable without the ac

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's awful. Ours went out the other day, so I know how you feel. Hope it gets fixed soon. [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The A/C unit works. It's connected to our furnace, and our furnace is not blowing out the cold air. I can hear the furnace trying to blow out the air. My dad came over and changed the filter, that didn't work. I wonder if there is a plug or blockage in the furnace. Hubby tells me that's most likely not the case.[​IMG]. I know nothing about mechanical things. Dh will have to bring home a fan or two. The stores are 30 miles away. I do know it's the furnace not working properly.

6. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Is any air blowing out of the vents?

Just because the air conditioner is running, doesn't mean it's working. If there is air coming out of the vents but the air is not cold, then the AC unit has problems. Turn it off.

My AC died, more than a year ago. Haven't bothered to fix it or get another. A couple of fans and a tank top and I do fine. [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do you have a heat pump? Furnaces heat the air, they do not include air conditioning; that would be a separate unit. Heat pumps can do both. If air is blowing, but it is not cold, either the unit needs freon, the thermostat is not working properly or the condensor is shot.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Or the blower motor is not working properly. Ours is a heat pump, but the AC and furnace parts share the blower.

Nicole01 " Our A/C works, but there is no air blowing through the vents!"

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:That is what happened to us when we lived in our house after a year, the blower motor blew. Costed us 150 dollars new. Works just fine after six years now.

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I turned the house fan on to see if this is caused by ice blockage. Hubby talked to someone and they suggested this. Hopefully this will work.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by