Guam Chickens *PICS*

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
So here lately there has been a lot of curiosity circling my Guam chickens, because they are like no other chicken...

So what is a Guam chicken you ask?
Guam is a little island in the middle of the Pacific, it is very isolated and when I say little I mean little, at about 12 miles wide and 30 miles long...

The first chickens on the island were Pacific jungle fowl, beautiful birds; well as years passed another breed of chicken was brought to the island, Game fowl. These are the only two breeds on the island, there are no other breed of chicken here so the lines have stayed pure Game/Jungle fowl, The roosters are black with a collar of golden neck feathers and an iridescent green tail with the hens being solid black, but the game fowl cross has introduced new and even more beautiful colorings… The birds are truly beautiful and hardy; I have never in my life seen such a strong bird! On top of being hardy, they are amazing broodys, every hen here I have seen with young at some point in time and often back to back. You can find the chickens everywhere on the island, from the neighbor’s yard, your yard, even the courthouse, on the side of the road and often on the beach... So now you know a little about these creatures, so here are the birds themselves!!!

Here is my roo Jellybean, you can see that he looks more Jungle fowl than game...
22622_guam_chicke_017eee.jpg

This is Beau, one of my hens, she has the gold necklace as we call it...
22622_guam_chicke_025eee.jpg

22622_bock_001bockeee.jpg

22622_guam_chickens_022eee.jpg

22622_guam_chickens_020eee.jpg

All of the below pics are of my chickens that I hatched out, they are really the sweetest chickens I've ever had!!!

22622_natbojelly_018eee.jpg

22622_natbojelly_032eee.jpg

22622_natbojelly_030eee.jpg

22622_natbojelly_014eee.jpg

Last edited:
MUST ask: do they lay eggs the color of the shell they are pecking at? That's the bluest egg I've ever seen that didn't get dyed...or maybe it did...

The birds are gorgeous, and I'm delighted you've shared them with us!

Quote:
lol I wish, they lay pretty brown and white eggs all different shades. The egg there is a boiled easter egg lol My daughter thought they needed an easter treat too!

hhheee I am so excited!!!! I finally met some one with guam chickens!!!! YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH They are SOOOO neat looking!!! I wonder how they would do in alaskas cold winters? I have a heated barn so I think they will do fine!!!! oooohhhhh I am so excited!!!I want some!!!! I want some!!!! they are so colorful!!! too bad I cant show them!!!! thats what I would want them for (or just because they came from Guam!!!) yyeeahh I finally got some one in guam to get eggies from!!!! yyyeeeeaaahhh

Nice pics and birds holly! Reminds me of the place we used to go to get star fruit, they had some chickens just like these... oh I miss star fruit, was so excited to see it here in the grocery store but it tastes
sickbyc.gif
nothing like what I had there. Would love to see some pics around the island sometime. Do you ever go to Tarague beach? Thanks for posting.

Nancy

Quote:
Nope, but I can send you some Starfruit from our tree LOL and mangos too, good grief I have mangos coming out my ears! Fresh off the tree if you would like!!! I will have to check the starfruit first, I don't know if we have any ripe ones! I also have avacado!

id take fresh avacado but I dont think it would do so good shipping it!! can my husband come to your house and take some from your tree for himself? I dont know if he even likes it but if he does could he? I was just thinking that today when we were chatting on here you must have been tired because it was really early in the morning for you!!!! now its getting to be supper time right!! around 5 pm is! I ahve such a hard time remembering not to call my husband at 2 am in the morning when I call... (I want to call him when its noon my time and its 6 am tommorrow there!!! its so crazy trying to keep it straight!)

Anyway those chickies are purdy neato!!!

Back
Top Bottom