1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

guard chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by egyptchick, May 6, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    I am new to chicken raising. i am the proud mommy of 12 chicks of various backgrounds. i have been checking out the forum but have not seen mention of guard chicks.

my babies are 1 week old and are brooding in a mother hen and pen in my house. i have noticed that whenever they go to sleep whether in the Mother hen or outside on of them stays up and keeps watch. eventually the guard will sleep but not until the others are completely settled. it is not always the same chick either. any one else ever see this happen?

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Hmmm, I have one chick that guards the door of the broody house and has taken to tackling my fingers if I reach in without snacks and to run off other chicks that don't belong to his mama; I say his because with behavior like that, it's got to be a rooster. But in my situation, it's always the same guy. I'm glad your little ones are looking out for each other!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by