Guard dog ?

Pics

ejtrout31

Crowing
Aug 13, 2018
Deer River Minnesota
00CE89E5-8D4F-4EA7-8F7E-421EEA1F1765.jpeg
A guard dog

So here are some ideas for my guard dog idea.
The picture above is my coop I want the dog to be a guardian animal.
The black is a tall fence to keep my birds in.
The blue is the gate/door for the fence.
The red is an half of my coop with run my ducks and some of my hens are currently in I probably will put the hens out and my show birds in come spring.
The yellow is my rabbit pen.
The white is a section of my coop for the birds that are in the big fenced in part.
The green could be a shelter for a guard dog
And the rest in the black would be for 10-15 birds and a guard dog.

1. What do you think about the setup I am doing renovations this summer and this wouldn’t be hard to change it to fit the dog.

2. I would let the dog out daily. So space shouldn’t be a problem

3. What are good dogs who can protect chickens from preadators and not be the preadator.

4. Would there be a problem if the chickens and dog ate the wrong food.

Thx

Last edited:
A guard dog

View attachment 1622549 So here are some ideas for my guard dog idea.
The picture above is my coop I want the dog to be a guardian animal.
The black is a tall fence to keep my birds in.
The blue is the gate/door for the fence.
The red is an half of my coop with run my ducks and some of my hens are currently in I probably will put the hens out and my show birds in come spring.
The yellow is my rabbit pen.
The white is a section of my coop for the birds that are in the big fenced in part.
The green could be a shelter for a guard dog
And the rest in the black would be for 10-15 birds and a guard dog.

1. What do you think about the setup I am doing renovations this summer and this wouldn’t be hard to change it to fit the dog.

2. I would let the dog out daily. So space shouldn’t be a problem

3. What are good dogs who can protect chickens from preadators and not be the preadator.

4. Would there be a problem if the chickens and dog ate the wrong food.

Thx
I have Labrador Retrievers. Three of them and 50 lil bantam chicks.. some free range and some in coops. My dogs absolutely respect and love my birds. It took me about three months to trust them but when I did it worked out like a blessing

Labs are hyper and actually use to hunt Birds. A Maremma or other LGD breed would be better suited.
100000% agree.
Don't get a bird dog or hunting dog.
Been there, done that with a friend and his labs terrorize his birds.

I would get:
A Maremma
Great Pyrenees
Kuvasz
Anatolian Shepherd

100000% agree.
Don't get a bird dog or hunting dog.
Been there, done that with a friend and his labs terrorize his birds.

I would get:
A Maremma
Great Pyrenees
Kuvasz
Anatolian Shepherd
I have a Maremma and he is a fantastic Dog...Loves my Birds and protects my yard and Birds.
IMG_1278.JPG

The confines are too tight for LGD's. Either there will be containment issues or dog will be stressed. There is a very recent thread where things went very wrong with an LGD cross that was not provided for properly; we need to learn from that rather than trying to push big and potentially aggressive dogs on backyard folks with tight resources. Even the LGD's are likely to go through stage where they will harm stock. I used German Pointers, a breed used for bird hunting with high prey drive, as poultry guardians just fine. Setup will not require vigorous guarding ability so a smaller breed will be do fine. Get it into your head you need to work the dog and I would plan for taking dog on forays beyond your enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom