Guard dogs for poultry project

120% incorrect. The german shepherd was originally bred to be a herding dog, a protection dog and a scent dog....

And none of those things are traits of an LGD

You don't have to "train" a TRUE LGD to protect it's animals.
You just have to teach them which animals to accept.

Too many think that because their yard dog runs off a predator, it's "guarding" the animals, when in reality it's guarding it's TERRITORY.

If you take the animals and the dog somewhere else, the TRUE LGD's instinct will be to STAY with those animals.

The yard dog will head for home

Read about the REAL Livestock Guardian Breeds:

http://www.lgd.org/

i have catahoulaXborder collie and while my male is totally oblivious to the chicks, my female (his sister) is interested in ANYTHING small and 'fuzzy'. soon as the chicks fill out an become big and feathered, her interest wanes, as they were raised with foul. god save anything with fur.
good luck
wink.png

This is a really interesting and great thread..!
I'll be reading it all...I surely need a good dog..! I have both 2 and 4 legged predators, and deer that are always eating and tramplings crops.
I haven't had good luck with dogs in the past,including one person trying to sue me for a miliom bucks for something my dog didn't even do..!
I think if i can find one good pup, follow the advice given here from experienced folk, it will be a very big help.I have 39 hens and a cat.I know my cat is not going to recieve a puppy very well, but shes good with rat/rodant control.
What i think i'll do is get a couple kittens, a pup and some new chicks and raise them all together.Hoping they all can live together, with my intervention as needed. The one thing that i still fear though is the persons looking for any chance to sue me. This is the main reason i haven't gotten a new dog since my last one died 7 yrs ago, although i really do need a gaurd dog.
How do you folks deal with this potential problem, besides the obvious keeping your dog on your land always...? I've heard good and bad concerning dog warning signs.I have biligual"no trespassing" signs posted around my land that go largely ignored.I don't know what to do, the last thing i need is another trying to sue me, but i DO need a good dog for protection of my property..

a true LGD will stay with the flock or sheep or whatever you put them with ( correct me if im rong bear foot) have you considered useing a invisible fence ? raise puppys and kitens with baby chicks will result in dead chicks probably your dog can see and look at them on a leash after there about a year old they can be kept with the flock

Back
Top Bottom