Guess I'm Taking a Break from Chickening

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
So, many of you know the last year (Fall 2020 - Now) has been pretty shit for me. I had foot surgery in Oct, house fire in Nov... and now, we lost our whole flock over the weekend. My neighbor who has been watching the flock for me says a bobcat has been hanging out. Well, sometime on friday (probably) something got into my run and got the whole flock. The only survivor was the rooster, one of two araucana. I'm letting my neighbor keep him, since I have to clean out the run and coop, and figure out what happened... AND build a house and rebuild our life.

Guess I have a little less than a year to get everything figured out, what breed I want to concentrate on... Sigh.... I need my house and life back.

So sorry. Take it one step at a time.
I'm planning on it.
First step, getting a house built.
Second Step, Move back into my house.
Third Step, fixing my coop and run to figure out how they got in and get it fixed.
Fourth Step, clean out the coop and get it ready.
Fifth Step, figure out what I want and where to get it. (this step is kinda fluid.)

My first flock was a mixed flock of hatchery quality birds. I then brought some true araucana and some true ameraucana into it. Not sure where I'm going to go, and as much as I'd love to get a flock of araucana; they're quite expensive.

I saw your signature with the crossed out birds so I looked for your threads to find out why and found this...
I'm really sorry about all of this. Life is hard. 😞 Sometimes it's my animals that help me to get through it.
Maybe if you really want the breed that is really expensive you could try some hatching eggs. It's how I got my purebred chickens to start with and then added some chicks later.
Anyway, I'll say a little prayer right now for you that things will fall into place and progress will be made on your behalf.
Have a good day.

I saw your signature with the crossed out birds so I looked for your threads to find out why and found this...
I'm really sorry about all of this. Life is hard. 😞 Sometimes it's my animals that help me to get through it.
Maybe if you really want the breed that is really expensive you could try some hatching eggs. It's how I got my purebred chickens to start with and then added some chicks later.
Anyway, I'll say a little prayer right now for you that things will fall into place and progress will be made on your behalf.
Have a good day.
I've thought about that too. I'd need to get an incubator, but right now I need to concentrate on appliances. LOL

So sorry for you loss. A bobcat killed 14 birds one night here. I set traps and caught it. It didn't come back the next night but did the following night, big mistake. I have been seeing another one since.
IMG_3312.JPG
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg
IMAG0001 (15) 01.jpg
IMAG0001 (15) 03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom