Guess the gender of 6 mo Silkie

Still thinking roo :(
@LadiesAndJane wdyt?
I'll be so bummed 🥺 I was watching our 24 week old Silkie cockerel calling his girls for treats and Peaches came running and ate some too. They are only 3.5 weeks apart and Peepers has been crowing for a while and has had his streamers before 12 weeks. Can Peaches really be that late of a bloomer? Is it feasible to have 2 Silkie roos with only 13 laying hens? Of course, right when I was completely content with our mixed flock, which included 2 silkie pullets, it would have to change 🤦

Still thinking roo :(
@LadiesAndJane wdyt?
I'll be so bummed 🥺 I was watching our 24 week old Silkie cockerel calling his girls for treats and Peaches came running and ate some too. They are only 3.5 weeks apart and Peepers has been crowing for a while and has had his streamers before 12 weeks. Can Peaches really be that late of a bloomer? Is it feasible to have 2 Silkie roos with only 13 laying hens? Of course, right when I was completely content with our mixed flock, which included 2 silkie pullets, it would have to change 🤦
Thanks for the tag and sorry for the delay in response. Been off-line for a bit.😊
This bird it’s a tricky one but looks female to me actually.

Thanks for the tag and sorry for the delay in response. Been off-line for a bit.😊
This bird it’s a tricky one but looks female to me actually.
Here are a few more. Tried to get the comb, crest shape and the streamers and neck feathers.

Attachments

• PXL_20211113_220340173.jpg
    PXL_20211113_220340173.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20211113_220343625.jpg
    PXL_20211113_220343625.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20211113_220332570.jpg
    PXL_20211113_220332570.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20211113_220406237.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211113_220406237.PORTRAIT.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 4
Still feels light (less muscular) and squats submissive sometimes when I reach down to pick up. ..... but are those streamers? Do males ever squat? Is this a pullet?

1635951736476.png

1635951759822.png

I was so worried when I saw the crest in back and thought "Uh Oh! Is this one a boy too?"

Well, this silkie just made his 1st egg!
:wee
So happy and thankful, she's a girl. She's been squatting for over a month but the crest is not as rounded as my others. Nothing conclusive until today.

I was so worried when I saw the crest in back and thought "Uh Oh! Is this one a boy too?"

Well, this silkie just made his 1st egg!
:wee
So happy and thankful, she's a girl. She's been squatting for over a month but the crest is not as rounded as my others. Nothing conclusive until today.
That's awesome!

Verdict is still out on mine, unfortunately. I keep feeling rooster but no crows yet. We have new layers but it's hard to know who is laying. We have a lot of pullets so.... I guess it's time for another camera to watch the second area of nest boxes.

Peaches is a roo😭

Our boy just would not stop crowing, which is normal but really annoyed me today, so I went out to check and I found Peaches inside the coop crowing and Peepers under the coop responding. Peaches was still odd and quiet but that must have been why Peepers was so darn loud and annoying! Lol

Anyways, not sure what we will do. There are no squabbles yet and Peaches keeps to the outside but I'm sure dynamics are about to change with the new ratio of 15 hens/pullets to 2 Silkie roos. I'll try it out to see how it goes, I guess🤷

Back
Top Bottom