1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea fowl breeding

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Nickeyo, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Guinea fowl

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Chickens

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Pheasants

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

Do both parent guinea fowl sit on the nest or just the female, I know with chickens it's just the hens but I was wondering if it was different

2. Hotcookie

Hotcookie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Just the females will. However, since guineas share communal nests, its not uncommon to find a couple different broody females wanting to sit on the nest. Last summer, I had two girls sitting tandem on the same nest.

3. Nickeyo

Ok Thxs, so it would be ok to fence the broody of from the rest until her eggs had hatched

4. Hotcookie

Hotcookie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Hmmmm - I don't think you're going to need to do that. A broody female will want to sit on that nest no matter what. She's still going to want contact with the rest of the flock. Plus, my mama went outside for short periods of time to take dust bathes......eat bugs, etc. I really don't think she'll be too happy if she's penned inside for a month.

5. Nickeyo

Ok, my reason thinking for doing that was i dont want her hatching different aged chicks, i guess i should mark the eggs i want to hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by