Guinea fowl eggs for people with chicken egg allergies

TexGardenGirl

Songster
14 Years
Feb 2, 2009
northeast of Dallas
Anyone out there have allergy to chicken eggs and tried guinea eggs? I've been trying to research and not finding much info. My mom found out she was allergic to eggs a few weeks before my chickens started laying last year. (Very sad - I really wanted to share her grand-chickens' eggs with her.) Anyway, I now have guineas, and I'm wondering if she could eat the eggs when they start laying next spring. So far they are hanging out with their chicken buddies so maybe I'll get lucky and have some actually lay in the henhouse...
I just wondered if anyone had personal experience with the allergy issue. Thanks!

It's a possibility, but you'll have much more luck with quail and duck eggs. I have done extensive research on this very thing for my pastor, whose baby is allergic to eggs. Eventually they will try her on quail eggs. She is too young yet to let them know if she is reacting, so they haven't tried. From everything I have gathered, it is a specific enzyme in chicken eggs that is reactive. That enzyme is not present in quail or duck eggs. I haven't seen any research on guinea eggs.

Thanks for the reply, Cindiloohoo! It does seem like there would be a better chance with duck eggs, they're clearly not very closely related to chickens, but I haven't talked DH into waterfowl yet (maybe whenever he gets to building a bigger pond he'll go for it!).

Any other experiences out there?

Yes, I have guinea and they lay lots of eggs and they taste better than regular chicken eggs. Their shell is super hard I don't know how the little babies hatch. I have little serama chickens too and they have hatched out the baby guinea it's hillarious it follow the little chicken around think it's his/her Mama. My sisters husband is allergic to chicken eggs and he loves eggs so I am gonna give some to her for him to try. He can't eat chicken at all but, he is fine with turkey so I think this will work.

my question is reversed. My husband can eat chicken eggs with no problem but we found that he cannot eat duck eggs they make him very sick. This morning we tried scrambled 1 chicken egg and 1 guinea egg together. a few hours later he called to report that it made him very sick as well. Why can he eat chicken eggs everyday with no issues but duck or guinea eggs make him sick. I'm guessing that at this point quail eggs, goose eggs or anything else will make him sick?

my question is reversed. My husband can eat chicken eggs with no problem but we found that he cannot eat duck eggs they make him very sick. This morning we tried scrambled 1 chicken egg and 1 guinea egg together. a few hours later he called to report that it made him very sick as well. Why can he eat chicken eggs everyday with no issues but duck or guinea eggs make him sick. I'm guessing that at this point quail eggs, goose eggs or anything else will make him sick?
It most likely has to do with whatever the birds are being fed.

they free range mostly just like the chicken do. sometimes they are fed a scratch feed but so are the chickens. IT's puzzling to me.
Most people that have problems with eggs also have a problem with soy beans. Most feed contains soy bean meal.

In your case, he may have an allergy to some of the insects the guineas eat.

Most people that have problems with eggs also have a problem with soy beans. Most feed contains soy bean meal.

In your case, he may have an allergy to some of the insects the guineas eat.
A neighbor's wife was having problems with their chicken eggs but not with my guinea eggs. They changed the feed they were giving their chickens and her problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom