Guinea Fowl Habits

Kimberlys bantams

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2019
central Virginia
I have a clan of 6 guineas. 1 dad, 2 moms, and 3 5-month old babies. I want to let them free range, but I'm under constant stress when they're out because they have a tendency to go to the road. Yesterday, they went to the road twice in a one hour period of time. I scare them to the back yard as soon as I see them near danger, but their curious nature takes them back. Is there any way to change this habit?

:welcome Guinea fowl have a mind of their own. Most likely the only thing that will keep them off of the road is a fence.
We keep them enclosed almost all the time. I hate for them to be unhappy but I also would hate to have them hit by a car! I'm even considering moving so my fowl have more room to roam. That's a good reason to move, right?

I have a clan of 6 guineas. 1 dad, 2 moms, and 3 5-month old babies. I want to let them free range, but I'm under constant stress when they're out because they have a tendency to go to the road. Yesterday, they went to the road twice in a one hour period of time. I scare them to the back yard as soon as I see them near danger, but their curious nature takes them back. Is there any way to change this habit?
If guineas are doing something you don't want them to do, you have to make them very uncomfortable every time that they do not. I recommend that you get a big towel and run at them from the direction you don't want them going while flapping and waving the towel. Ignore what your neighbors think of your antics. If you do this enough times your guineas will not want to go where you are chasing them away from. It will not hurt if you scream at them while you are chasing them.

If guineas are doing something you don't want them to do, you have to make them very uncomfortable every time that they do not. I recommend that you get a big towel and run at them from the direction you don't want them going while flapping and waving the towel. Ignore what your neighbors think of your antics. If you do this enough times your guineas will not want to go where you are chasing them away from. It will not hurt if you scream at them while you are chasing them.
I'm definitely going to try this! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom