Guinea Hen egg hatching

LSMom

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
Hi everyone! I am feeding a friend's guinea hens while she is out of town. The guinea hen has been sitting on eggs for a while (not sure how long). I have no idea if these eggs will hatch while my friend is gone! What do I do if they hatch? They are in a coop and kept up out of harms way. Will the guinea hen take care of the babies? Or do I need to do something. Just want to know ahead of time in case this happens :)

Thanks so much!

The mother should take care of them, but if they are in an elevated nesting box the keets might have trouble getting down. Also, they will need to eat a gamebird starter feed, so if that's not what your friend is already feeding them, you would need to get some and feed them that instead of whatever they are eating now. You will also need to make sure the feeders and waterers are chick friendly - something the chicks can use but won't get stuck in or drown in, etc.

Hi everyone! I am feeding a friend's guinea hens while she is out of town. The guinea hen has been sitting on eggs for a while (not sure how long). I have no idea if these eggs will hatch while my friend is gone! What do I do if they hatch? They are in a coop and kept up out of harms way. Will the guinea hen take care of the babies? Or do I need to do sometthing

The hen usually takes care of her babies but if not get a box n a heat lamp n put them n there with some water n chick starter but the moma usually takes care of her babies i just hatched 6 out of incubater a couple of wks ago no mother i ben raising them under heat lamp n such

The hen usually takes care of her babies but if not get a box n a heat lamp n put them n there with some water n chick starter but the moma usually takes care of her babies i just hatched 6 out of incubater a couple of wks ago no mother i ben raising them under heat lamp n such
Guinea keets should be fed a high protein turkey/gamebird starter not chick starter.

Thats what ive ben giving mine

Attachments

• 1507515424554.jpg
    1507515424554.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi everyone! I am feeding a friend's guinea hens while she is out of town. The guinea hen has been sitting on eggs for a while (not sure how long). I have no idea if these eggs will hatch while my friend is gone! What do I do if they hatch? They are in a coop and kept up out of harms way. Will the guinea hen take care of the babies? Or do I need to do something. Just want to know ahead of time in case this happens :)

Thanks so much!

The guinea hen should take care of the babies by sitting on them and keeping them warm. Not long after they hatch, guinea keets (babies) will eat and drink on their own and run around. The main thing to watch for is to make sure she is sitting on them and keeping them warm and that they can get to the food and water. Is the nest on the ground or up higher? If one of the babies hatches and gets out of the nest it needs to be able to get back in and get under the hen to make sure it stays warm. Other than needing heat, they are pretty self sufficient!
A word of warning though, guinea hens are pretty protective of their little ones and can sometimes get pretty aggressive if you mess with them much. I’ve been attacked for trying to pick up a baby a few times!
I have to say, though, I’ve never had a guinea hen that wasn’t a great mom....all of mine took such great care of their keets! Hopefully this hen will be the same!
Newly hatched guineas are so darn cute so hopefully you’ll get a chance to see them!

Back
Top Bottom