Guinea x chicken hybrid grow-along

Lanfear

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've had chickens and guineas together for 3 years, but this year I hatched out a surprise from one of my guinea eggs. I had guinea eggs put in the incubator May 16th. June 7th I went to check the eggs and much to my surprise there was a empty eggshell sitting in atray (that makes hatch date 22 days!). Low and behold, at the bottom of my cabinet incubator (the poor kiddo fell to the bottom) was this little guy.

1686438409473.png

I knew Albert (my lemon pyle brahma x lavender maran) was fraternizing with the guineas, but in previous years I had other chickens displaying their affection for the guineas so I didn't think anything of it, but I'm certain of my two roos he's the dad. This little one sounds like a bit of an odd chick, it has ever so slight feathering on its feet. I had to vet wrap the feet to help with curled toes.
1686438720342.png

It's fascinating that his markings around the eyes are different (I don't recall hatching non-symmetrtical markings before). Below is a photo of it beside two chicks that hatched 24 hours earlier. From my research it's quite rare for hybrid eggs to develop, even rarer that they hatch, so this little one has jumped a few hurdles. Life expectancy from what little I can find on the internet doesn't look great but I thought I'd share as this is a first for me!

1686438880451.png

Hello!

I recently created a thread asking about these Guinea fowl - chicken hybrids, because I had seen my male Guinea mating one of my chicken hens and was debating whether to incubate the eggs or not (see first title under ‘Similar Threads’ below). Sadly I didn’t get any responses or advice so I decided not to set any eggs this time…

I’d love to follow along on this little guy’s journey! Keep us updated on how he’s doing!

Hello!

I recently created a thread asking about these Guinea fowl - chicken hybrids, because I had seen my male Guinea mating one of my chicken hens and was debating whether to incubate the eggs or not (see first title under ‘Similar Threads’ below). Sadly I didn’t get any responses or advice so I decided not to set any eggs this time…

I’d love to follow along on this little guy’s journey! Keep us updated on how he’s doing!
In all honestly I don't think deciding not to hatch them is the wrong call. From what little I can find on the internet, these hybrids aren't very healthy. I'm hoping that isn't the case for this little one! I did candle similar colored guinea eggs (this egg is very light so it stands out compared to my other guinea eggs thankfully) I had another same color that I recently removed due to the presence of 'the death ring'. Now, this could be a fluke - I"ve hatched hundreds of guinea eggs over the years and even though several were bred by chickens this is my first hybrid to hatch. It doesn't often happen in the wild because genetically it's a big clash. Chickens have 39 chromosome pairs and guineas 37 pairs so even just in this regard it makes it awkward to produce something genetically viable.

Very interesting! Besides premature death and many health issues, I’ve also heard that most if not all numigalls are sterile and incapable of reproduction. I read an article about one of these hybrids which the author named ‘Miracle’, and for good reason. He lived for much longer than is typically expected for these unnatural, rarely seen birds, and his story is very interesting! I’d recommend checking out this article…

Guinea-Chicken Hybrid: Can Chickens and Guineas Breed? - Backyard Poultry https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/poultry-101/guinea-chicken-hybrid/

Hey @Lanfear! How’s your “cheet” doing? :)
Oops sorry I didn't reply to your previous post - yes I read about Miracle and thought it was fascinating - I just hope my cheet ends up more normal and less genetically messed up. Aside from some toes that are persistently trying to grow crooked even with my various wrap jobs, good so far! The cheet has now been dubbed "Ember". A friend suggested Turtle from TMNT (because I always call it my mutant even though it's a hybrid) so TMNT --> MB for mutant bird --> Embee ---> Ember. I've contacted a couple DNA centers to see if they can DNA test Ember so I know if it's a boy or girl (as it may not be apparent when grown??) as I'm tired of calling it an it. I just love Ember's asymmetrical facial markings! I'm trying to convince it to love me but it's got that typical keet skittishness (and I'm sure all the foot wrapping isn't helping). Pin feathers are starting to come in!

1686946596964.png

1686946744979.png

1686946766472.png

1686946849480.png

Back
Top Bottom