sazzybaz

Hatching
Mar 21, 2024
Hi All,
This girl just started this in the past two hour or so. She's obviously in discomfort open mouth gulping for air and wheezing. I have spoken to our vet and will take her in this arvo but he really doesn't have much idea whats going on and other than administering some ABs or PTSing her he's otherwise unsure what to do.
I really don't want to lose her but will make the call if I have to. They have all been wormed recently and she's the only one from her flock who looks at all unwell as I said it only started in the past two or so hours, her breath doesn't smell sour at all and I can't see anything in her throat or mouth.

My hen is doing the same exact thing.
Where are you located? Has ther been any outbreaks of Newcastles disease or avian flu in your area? Have you wormed your chickens recently? If not I would give SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1.25 ml orally for. 5 consecutive days. That treats gapeworms. Viruses can sometimes cause gasping. I would start a new thread of your own, so that others can offer help.

How is her overall behavior? Normally active? Interested in interacting with the others? How is her appetite? Normal or refusing to eat? Is she mostly staying in one spot or is she moving around mingling? Does she seem to want to just sit with eyes closed?

How is her poop? Anything different about it? Is there poop accumulation in the coop? Does it have a strong ammonia odor where it seems hard to breathe when you go in there?

How many days did you use the Kilverm? I believe it needs to be use every other day for about 3 treatments to get gapeworms. Your hen is gasping, and that can be a sign of worms or a respiratory disease. Can you look into her throat with a flashlight for any mucus, foreign body, or any yellow or white material?

Last time I used kilverm (levamisole)
oh good so that works on gapeworms so you can rule them out. I am a lot more experienced with ducks , I only know a little about chickens. Your poor sweet baby there her gasping is breaking my heart shes so beautiful I really hope she makes it . hopefully someone i tagged or another expert will come on soon. .

Attachments

• 20240319_144906.jpg
    20240319_144906.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom