Gun control and the second amendment....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many doctors are incompetent treating people with physical disorders, and the mentally ill are an even tougher ball of wax.

My feeling is this: if someone in the school's office had been armed, the shooting would never have gotten as far as it did. They could have defended against the shooter with something besides their own body.

First of of all I don't think this kid was getting the treatment he needed,period. I think his mother and father did him a disservice by not getting him help. Now others have paid for that. They knew he had problems but failed to address it or he fell through the cracks of the medical world but being 20 he has the right to make his own decision.

On paragraph 2 I totally agree and said that this AM to my DW. If one person had a gun and kept him from killing just one child it would have been worth it. But schools today have a zero tolerance policy about any weapons. A policy that should be changed. I am not saying it would have stopped the killings but may have lowered the death count if a staff member could have dispatched the guy before he got to far.

Last edited:
Swtzerland government issues every adult a gun and trains them to use it. Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world.

Swtzerland government issues every adult a gun and trains them to use it. Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world.

They do that because they don't have much of a regular army. Kids are trained as conscripts and then become reservists. They keep their military guns at home, probably bolt action hunting rifles, but there's no mention of ammunition in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

There's not much of a comparison between traditionally neutral and pacifist Switzerland with it's military-controlled weapons and the state of affairs that is leading to massacres in the US. Try another comparison.

Foe example, after their own massacres, the UK and Australia banned certain types of weapon that civilians don't have real need to own and that has successfully reduced that kind of gun crime. You cannot prevent violent crime completely and I don't propose a complete ban on self-defence weapons but, surely, the time has come to consider in the US the right of people to go about their business without fear of the kind of event that is now becoming so common.

They do that because they don't have much of a regular army. Kids are trained as conscripts and then become reservists. They keep their military guns at home, probably bolt action hunting rifles, but there's no mention of ammunition in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

There's not much of a comparison between traditionally neutral and pacifist Switzerland with it's military-controlled weapons and the state of affairs that is leading to massacres in the US. Try another comparison.

Foe example, after their own massacres, the UK and Australia banned certain types of weapon that civilians don't have real need to own and that has successfully reduced that kind of gun crime. You cannot prevent violent crime completely and I don't propose a complete ban on self-defence weapons but, surely, the time has come to consider in the US the right of people to go about their business without fear of the kind of event that is now becoming so common.
I don't think any American goes around with fear that they are going be harmed by someone with a gun. Right now people are more high strung about it but in 2 weeks they will calm down. I don't see the point in taking away a perfectly okay and safe firearm from the majority of the population when .0000000001% of the population can't handle them. Also in switzerland they are definitely not some bolt action hunting rifles. They look like a Switzerland version of the ar-15 which is select fire (auto-semi) when their term of service is up they give it back to the government and the government puts it on semi or bolt action then returns it back to the civilian. Use to store government ammo with the weapons but now they do not do that.

I am in no way gun savy but I do know you can take an ar-15 coyote hunting and some use it for deer with I believe the hollow points which expand more.

Last edited:
I don't think any American goes around with fear that they are going be harmed by someone with a gun. Right now people are more high strung about it but in 2 weeks they will calm down. I don't see the point in taking away a perfectly okay and safe firearm from the majority of the population when .0000000001% of the population can't handle them. Also in switzerland they are definitely not some bolt action hunting rifles. They look like a Switzerland version of the ar-15 which is select fire (auto-semi) when their term of service is up they give it back to the government and the government puts it on semi or bolt action then returns it back to the civilian. Use to store government ammo with the weapons but now they do not do that.

I am in no way gun savy but I do know you can take an ar-15 coyote hunting and some use it for deer with I believe the hollow points which expand more.

You're right about the guns. I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

There's still little valid comparison between Switzerland and the US in this respect except that, in the former, the trained keepers of military guns don't carry out massacres. Ah that's not true! Even that tiny population has suffered a massacre and it involved a military issue gun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_massacre

Taking your first sentence, perhaps I have misunderstood what families caught up in recent gun tragedies are saying on international TV but there does seem to be a fear. It';s not surprising, is it?

Do you really think that this will calm down in two weeks? It won't for the families involved and, surely, many other people assume that it will happen again soon. If a nation 'calms down' and lets things continue as they are after 20 more children have been shot to pieces, it would be sad reflection on the society involved. It would be sad if the extreme end of the gun lobby could not accept that some change is necessary.

You're right about the guns. I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

There's still little valid comparison between Switzerland and the US in this respect except that, in the former, the trained keepers of military guns don't carry out massacres. Ah that's not true! Even that tiny population has suffered a massacre and it involved a military issue gun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_massacre

Taking your first sentence, perhaps I have misunderstood what families caught up in recent gun tragedies are saying on international TV but there does seem to be a fear. It';s not surprising, is it?

Do you really think that this will calm down in two weeks? It won't for the families involved and, surely, many other people assume that it will happen again soon. If a nation 'calms down' and lets things continue as they are after 20 more children have been shot to pieces, it would be sad reflection on the society involved. It would be sad if the extreme end of the gun lobby could not accept that some change is necessary.
People will remember this tragedy for a while. The population as a whole is not living in fear of another mass shooting, robbery, home invasion, or being robbed at gun point. The families will always remember this day same for the families who suffered from 9/11.

Yes 2 weeks it will be on the back of peoples minds unless there is media coverage about a law trying to pass that relates to guns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom