Gun enthusiasts anything from Hunting to target shooters.

Pics
cmom, don't let go of that 410. The first time I mentioned one, I commented that my brother stole my dad's 410. It was my grandfather's. My dad learned to shoot with it. Although the first gun I ever shot was a 12 ga., I honed my ability with the 410. Dh mentioned that it was stupid to get upset over it, since a 410 isn't that great of a gun. I told him he was misinformed. He began doing some checking, and discovered why they were such a popular gun back in the day.

I love my single shot .410. My dad bought it new in the late 50's for my oldest brother, and handed to my older brother, then to me. I don't have any kids, but I did let my grandnephews know the there late father learned to shoot with that shotgun, and I plan on giving it to them.

I thought firearms were illegal in Canada.
nope. We can have a lot of different fire arms. Depending on what class of licence you can have shot guns and long rifles ( non-restricted) where we have no limits on amount of guns or ammo we can have. The other class is restricted fire arms. Mostly ar-15s and hand guns ( yes we can legally own a ar and pistols.) With some rules. Like only allowed to be shot at a licensed range. Where non i can shoot any where that is legal. Such as my farm.

Also there are lots of rules such as my sks is pinned to five rounds as semi auto center fire guns can only hold five rounds in them. Handguns can only have 10 rounds and manuel actions (pump lever or bolt and semi auto rim fire) have no limit on mags. Also many guns are just prohibited from owner ship such as .32 and .25 cal pistols barrels under 4.5 inchs, ak's etc.. or any full auto gun.

I've taken deer with a .223. even a couple with my .22-250. if you hit them correctly, they won't go far. But if your a little off, or clip the shoulder your not going to find that deer. I know a old-timer that has hunted with a .222 for yrs. Takes several deer every yr without a loss. He knows that gun and is confident in it. So, yes they may be legal for deer, even adquate, but there's better choices. Don't live in a elk state, so can't comment if a .223 is legal or not, but I'd be surprised if they are. I definitely wouldn't use one on elk.
Any center fire is legal for big game here, 22 whatever, hornet, swift, .222 whatever as long as it has a primer. I wouldn't use one but know plenty that do, shot placement is all it takes. Some of those suckers move super fast so create a lot of damage anyway.

:welcome :frow I had a British Endfield and a Swiss Army Rifle. We used to load our own shells. Don't have them any more. (we're old folks) We gave them away to someone who we thought would appreciate them. I still have my 410 and a 22. I love to shoot too.
The .303 British is still a semi popular deer rifle here.
I always loved the .410 for small game, have a old Harrington Richardson single shot, knock a squirrel out of a tree at 50 yards. Full fixed choke, so close shots not good. The shells are expensive though if you don't reload.
Yrs ago, they don't make it anymore as far as I know, Winchester made a lever action .410 shotgun a lot like their famous model 94 lever action rifle called the 9410, eight shot tube one in the chamber, sure would like to find one.
Taurus/Rossi 'circuit judge' five shot shotgun/rifle .45/.410 is pretty cool too, just wish they had a smoothbore choked barrel option. Doesn't make much sense to me if you only wanted to use it as a .410 shotgun to have a fully rifled barrel with a short straight choke to straighten the shot out.

Back
Top Bottom