Gurgling sounds from hen

BriannaJ

In the Brooder
May 7, 2019
Hi everyone! So I have a hen that’s just over a year old, shes having terrible sounding gurgling noises come from her throat & mouth. She has no discharge coming from her eyes or nose. I noticed a few days ago while she was free ranging she had her back end down while grazing, and when she tries to jump up she’s very weak in the legs and sometimes falls over. I picked her up and she immediately sounded gurgly, I lifted her back end up higher than her front half and suddenly there was clear discharge coming from her mouth - which makes the gurgling noises much more aggressive. She’s still eating / drinking - I don’t feel anything firm in her throat or abdomen and she doesn’t smell yeasty. Any thoughts from the pros of what could be going on with her ?

I have a hen with the exact same thing. If it's sour crop I have lost a hen to that I think before. Why do I keep having that problem

Sounds like sour crop. It doesn't smell like anything most of the time. You treat it with miconazole, a women's vaginal yeast cream. Get it at the aisle where the pads and tampons are.

But, you hen's other symptoms could indicate something more serious such as a reproductive blockage, which can back up the digestive system.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I have an old hen with the same problem. Won’t clear up. I assume the anti-fungal cream is administered orally. How much and how often?
Thanks and regards, Karen (Australia)

Being in Australia, women's vaginal yeast cream has additives that shouldn't be given orally to chickens. But you can find a great product called Medistatin. It's an antifungal powder that you add one teaspoon to the chicken's food each day. You may be able to find it at a pigeon supply store. You can get it online for sure because I got my first jar of Medistatin from an Aussie company.

Being in Australia, women's vaginal yeast cream has additives that shouldn't be given orally to chickens. But you can find a great product called Medistatin. It's an antifungal powder that you add one teaspoon to the chicken's food each day. You may be able to find it at a pigeon supply store. You can get it online for sure because I got my first jar of Medistatin from an Aussie company.
Thank you!

Is she bloated at all? On her rear end between her legs under her vent. Does it feel like a balloon?
No, it was her crop that wouldn’t clear but in the end her entire digestive system was involved. Unfortunately she died about an hour ago. Thanks for your assistance though. Regards, Karen

Back
Top Bottom