Had sick chicks dumped at my door, pics included, have some questions

woot.gif

Great job and fabulous news!!!

Hi just read your thread and well done. When a baby chick has been left to starve its stomach swells up realy big and tight with gas. Remember the baby eathiopians there bellys are all swollen. The more they eat the less gas your body accumulates. Your doing a great job, chick crumb contains powdered grit so i wouldnt feed it grit and you dont need to massage the crop. Food & water and your there. :)

Ok, so I am confused. People keep saying that chick starter contains grit but, I have read the labels on both Purina Start and Grow and Dumor and neither contain any grit-like substance. I have always fed grit to my chicks once I started giving them other things or putting them out on grass.

Hi just read your thread and well done. When a baby chick has been left to starve its stomach swells up realy big and tight with gas. Remember the baby eathiopians there bellys are all swollen. The more they eat the less gas your body accumulates. Your doing a great job, chick crumb contains powdered grit so i wouldnt feed it grit and you dont need to massage the crop. Food & water and your there.
smile.png

I don't know. I do know I have raised chicks both ways - giving grit and not giving grit and I've never had any problems either way. Some people say they really need it, others say they don't.

Ok, so I am confused. People keep saying that chick starter contains grit but, I have read the labels on both Purina Start and Grow and Dumor and neither contain any grit-like substance. I have always fed grit to my chicks once I started giving them other things or putting them out on grass.

All's well still. Their crops are slowly but continuously going down in size. When I first got them they were swollen so badly they were hard and their skin was stretched tight and red. Now their crops are still swollen, but soft and mushy - and much smaller than before. They are very active. They got to go outside for the first time this morning. While I cleaned out the container they are in my son held the three of them in the front of his t-shirt held up like a little hammock and walked around in the sun with them. They all three fell asleep. I still don't want to call this one because anything can happen to them at this age but at this point, I think it's safe to say they are out of ICU, lol!

If they get to be named...maybe you should start with these initials. One would be an "I" name, the next a "C"...you can see where I'm going with this. ;) Thank you for taking them in and giving them a chance at a good life. Thank goodness for you!

Chick starter does not contain grit, but since it is in the form of a mash, it is small enough that it is easily digestible without grit.

Back
Top Bottom