Had success reintegrating sick chicken

Leftygirl

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
Although We are new to caring for chickens, we had one (Henrietta) with sour crop. We followed the videos on YouTube massaged the right side of the chicken, tilted the chicken over and made sure she had enough time for air, and within a few days she was fine. However trying to re-integrate Henrietta into the flock was a challenge. Here’s the steps we took, and I’m posting this because it worked. Initially As she recovered from sour crop we had her separated, but after she was feeling better, she wanted to sleep with the other chickens at night. I picked her up and put her on one of the roosting areas, and guarded her with a squirt gun until everyone settle down. After two days just the sight of the squirt gun cause the other chickens to back off. Each morning I got up very early to take her out of the coop and I let her run free in the yard with a couple of gentle chickens . Because she was afraid of the remaining chickens attacking, I started to feed her in large groups so she got used to chickens running fast around her. After several days of that I integrated her into the run area in the morning and again guarded her with a squirt gun. A few days and she was back in the group. The whole process was about two weeks from sick to back home. Ps my family thought i was nuts, but it was worth it to see her back in the gang

I know this post is older but it gave me hope for my girl Poppy, thank you so much!! After only 3 days she was already out of the pecking order. Had a little scuffle yesterday and now I realize that it will take a little work to get her back in! Looks like I'm going to buy a squirt gun on my way home... thankfully I only have one meanie in the bunch. And my recovered chicken is a tough girl! Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom