Had to help a chick to hatch. ALMOST 2 WKS ON PICS!!! pg.2

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
It was abandoned by the mother when it pipped so as a last resort I tried to help it out. I know! Bad idea! I got about a quarter of the way around before something happened and it's bleeding. It is still very alert, cheeping and movng it's beak. I don't have an incubator, so right now it's in a jar with some water and a heatlamp. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help?? I really don't want to lose him!
sad.png

Last edited:
Just leave it alone for awhile and see if it makes any progress on his own. By it bleeding, it obviously was not ready just yet. Keep us posted!!! Good luck..

Quote:
Damp cloth around the chick (is it still in the shell?) and place under a heat lamp. Talk to it, get a stuffed animal and a small mirror so it doesn't think it is alone.

It is a silkie, and yes, still in the shell. The mother had already left the nest and the other chickens ere coming around and pecking it. Thanks for all the quick responses
smile.png

*huge sigh of relief*
Thanks
smile.png
I was considering putting a tray of water inside instead. Would that work? I'm hoping the jar won't run of of oxygen....
hmm.png

I came back and half the shell was off!
big_smile.png
Unfortunately it was not in a zipping way as you would expect. It was more like somebody had punched a hole in the middle of the egg
hmm.png
I picked her up and she managed to wiggle her way out of the rest of the shell. For a moment i was worried she would be strangled by the umbilical cord. Thankfully, that didn't happen
smile.png
She's now drying off in my room. Some of the membrane was stuck to her, but I kept it there because there was a little blood.
smile.png
I'll upload a pic
smile.png

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom