Had to take day old chick from mom - now what?

I agree I think that when she wakes up in the morning she'll think she hatched her egg and will raise it fine if she's raised her own before.

Well if you have another chicken that has raised chicks before why not put the chick under her when it gets dark?
I am not an expert.....I am just observing and learning.....
If your other hen raised chicks before (I would) put the chick with her.

I agree I think that when she wakes up in the morning she'll think she hatched her egg and will raise it fine if she's raised her own before.

X3 :)

I put chick under it's actual mom and watched a while last night. She took it in and wasn't pecking at it. I put them in an isolated cage inside the coop with little bowls of food and water. When I put the food in the hen started calling for baby to eat and it did. They sat there along side one another eating together. and all was good. :) My hubby checked on them just now and chick was under hen. I'm gonna check before I leave but feel all will be okay. Thanks to everyone for the help. In case anyone is interested I'll try to do an update in a day or so to let yáll know how it's going. and see if i can upload a pic of them.

I put chick under it's actual mom and watched a while last night. She took it in and wasn't pecking at it. I put them in an isolated cage inside the coop with little bowls of food and water. When I put the food in the hen started calling for baby to eat and it did. They sat there along side one another eating together. and all was good. :)  My hubby checked on them just now and chick was under hen. I'm gonna check before I leave but feel all will be okay. Thanks to everyone for the help. In case anyone is interested I'll try to do an update in a day or so to let yáll know how it's going. and see if i can upload a pic of them. 

Glad to hear all is well. Good luck. :)

I put chick under it's actual mom and watched a while last night. She took it in and wasn't pecking at it. I put them in an isolated cage inside the coop with little bowls of food and water. When I put the food in the hen started calling for baby to eat and it did. They sat there along side one another eating together. and all was good. :) My hubby checked on them just now and chick was under hen. I'm gonna check before I leave but feel all will be okay. Thanks to everyone for the help. In case anyone is interested I'll try to do an update in a day or so to let yáll know how it's going. and see if i can upload a pic of them.

Sounds perfect to me!
How cute!
PICTURES please!!! lol

Ok this is what I do when this happens first put blue or green food coloring on q tip and cover all wounds with it I then keep it inside my house or barn in tote with heat light make sure chick isn't to war then you wait til mama is completely done sitting once she's done then try introducing the chick again usually it will be fine never had it not be But ALWAYS USE FOOD COLOR DOESNT HURT THE CHICK AT ALL AND EVERYONE KNOWS NEVER USE RED OR CHICKENS WILL PECK IT good luck

Ok this is what I do when this happens first put blue or green food coloring on q tip and cover all wounds with it I then keep it inside my house or barn in tote with heat light make sure chick isn't to war then you wait til mama is completely done sitting once she's done then try introducing the chick again usually it will be fine never had it not be But ALWAYS USE FOOD COLOR DOESNT HURT THE CHICK AT ALL AND EVERYONE KNOWS NEVER USE RED OR CHICKENS WILL PECK IT good luck

why food coloring? I'm curious what does that do?

You use blue food coloring so it covers up the red of the peck mark. If you leave the chick or chicken with red on it the others will want to peck it but if it's blue they won't care about it.

You use blue food coloring so it covers up the red of the peck mark. If you leave the chick or chicken with red on it the others will want to peck it but if it's blue they won't care about it.

O wow..I had no idea Thanks!

Baby and mom are still doing fine. I'm sorry I have not had a chance to take pics. I will try to do so before going to working tomorrow. ;)

Back
Top Bottom