1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Half Hollow looking?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkieboxerluv, Apr 7, 2008.

1. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    3 of my eggs look like they are fine on one side and the other side looks dry/hallow? Probably no good right?Today would be day 19 for them. I didnt see movement with them either.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Half is hallow? Are you looking at the air cell? Some evaporation does need to occur so the chick can internally pip, breahte, and then make it out of the shell. If it really is half hallow... maybe your humidity was too low. Should only be about a quarter hallow.

3. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Ya its funny shaped-i might just crack one to find out if they died or not. they dont look like any other batches ive done before.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I can't see what you are seeing, but if it's day 19, I'd just let them go till day 22 to see if anything happens before cracking them open. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by