Half my chickens laying but nothing from the other half.

Djohnson

Hatching
Oct 22, 2017
I purchased 40 chicks this year from a hatchery that I use every year for the last 5 years or so. My problem is, I separated them equally into 2 different coops and one coop the hens began laying approx. 12 days ago and I am gathering 14 eggs as of yesterday however, I have not had one egg to gather in the other coop. The hens are the same breed, same feed and same age.I am scratching my head on this. Can anyone shed some light on this. I have raised chickens for many years and never had this problem. Thank you in advance for any feed back.

Welcome to BYC. Since all others factors, breed/age/feed/water are the same, it seems that the coop is the problem. Is the feeding and watering system operating correctly? Have you checked for a mite infestation ? Might something be stealing the eggs or might a predator be harassing the birds from outside the pen?

Welcome to BYC. Since all others factors, breed/age/feed/water are the same, it seems that the coop is the problem. Is the feeding and watering system operating correctly? Have you checked for a mite infestation ? Might something be stealing the eggs or might a predator be harassing the birds from outside the pen?
X2. It could be the season too.

Back
Top Bottom