Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
I don’t think there’s anything that could’ve been done differently really for this particular egg - look how far you got with it! But I also think that the odd substance on the top of the membrane was something growing. There was the video someone had posted (I think it was the Japanese student one? It was the one where they used a cup and the Saran Wrap and tossed the shell) but they also had added a disinfectant to the bottom of the cup, I assume to inhibit growth of bacteria and fungi. Because in the grand scheme of things, your little ET was basically an egg with an XL crack in it. Haha. I would think as sterile a situation as possible would be the way to go with open ended eggs. Potentially spraying everything down with isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry prior to setting it up? I may have to join in with something like this if I can source an egg I don’t care too much about... lol.
Thanks! Yeah, it was definitely a bacteria. My sister's didn't have anything visibly growing though, (other than the chick, lol) so I don't know what happened to her's. Let us know if you try it! If you do, feel free to post updates on here. Do you have any chickens right now? Grab an egg, lol.

Thanks! Yeah, it was definitely a bacteria. My sister's didn't have anything visibly growing though, (other than the chick, lol) so I don't know what happened to her's. Let us know if you try it! If you do, feel free to post updates on here. Do you have any chickens right now? Grab an egg, lol.
That’s too bad, but hey, even fully shelled eggs randomly quit so who knows. :)
Lol, none of my chickens are of an age to give me eggs yet. Haha. And my ducks are all ladies; next spring I’ll be hatching my own duck eggs, though - keeping a drake from this last hatch. I’ve shipped in all my eggs for this season. I do have a random freebie egg that shipped with the others that’s on day 9 I could try it on. Not going to be upset if it doesn’t make it so it might be a good candidate. :p it’ll have to wait til Monday though, so I can collect my supplies. Lol.

That’s too bad, but hey, even fully shelled eggs randomly quit so who knows. :)
Lol, none of my chickens are of an age to give me eggs yet. Haha. And my ducks are all ladies; next spring I’ll be hatching my own duck eggs, though - keeping a drake from this last hatch. I’ve shipped in all my eggs for this season. I do have a random freebie egg that shipped with the others that’s on day 9 I could try it on. Not going to be upset if it doesn’t make it so it might be a good candidate. :p it’ll have to wait til Monday though, so I can collect my supplies. Lol.
Woohoo! Let me know how it goes! Ducks are so great.

ET's sister hatched! It's a girl! :celebrate
She's so pretty! Feathered legs and a rose comb! She's a really big chick for being part bantam, she hatched around 4 this morning. Today is day 21. I think she's a keeper! I'll get some pics in just a bit.

ET's sister hatched! It's a girl! :celebrate
She's so pretty! Feathered legs and a rose comb! She's a really big chick for being part bantam, she hatched around 4 this morning. Today is day 21. I think she's a keeper! I'll get some pics in just a bit.
How do you know its a girl? I assume its one that can be sexed by coloring...

What type of breed is she?

I cannot wait to see the pics

Back
Top Bottom