Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Is it ok not to turn? Since the embryo won't really be touching the shell? I mean, a couple times a day I can "swirl" it around maybe. I mean, not really swirl it, I know the babies are incredibly fragile, but Idk. Most people do this in cabinet incubators with the big tipping trays

This is a tough one to answer. In most cases it is definitely better to turn eggs but I have seen experiments where the eggs weren't turned at all and it is still possible for the chicks to hatch. One of the more recent videos I've watched of this they put an egg in rice hulls and made a tiny greenhouse over the egg, never moved it or turned it and the chick hatched. So it's possible. I'm not turning one of the turkey eggs I have incubating...it's actually because I forgot, lol, but the egg rides on top of the turner and doesn't rotate like the rest because it's so big. Hopefully the jostling if the turner rotating will be enough for it. Hatch date isn't until the 30th so I won't be able to update on that until after yours should be hatched.

This is a tough one to answer. In most cases it is definitely better to turn eggs but I have seen experiments where the eggs weren't turned at all and it is still possible for the chicks to hatch. One of the more recent videos I've watched of this they put an egg in rice hulls and made a tiny greenhouse over the egg, never moved it or turned it and the chick hatched. So it's possible. I'm not turning one of the turkey eggs I have incubating...it's actually because I forgot, lol, but the egg rides on top of the turner and doesn't rotate like the rest because it's so big. Hopefully the jostling if the turner rotating will be enough for it. Hatch date isn't until the 30th so I won't be able to update on that until after yours should be hatched.
That's really interesting. I'll move it a bit, I can tip the egg and hold it tipped for a few minutes or something. I'll try not turning though. I'm so hoping this works!

I wouldn’t be shocked if bacteria started growing and stops the embryo from developing.

It will be interesting to see if this works. When I tried bacteria stopped development. It didn’t even get veins and my chickens are fertile myrtles
Is that why you said it didn't work? I was curious. It might very well happen, I just thought it'd be fun to try. I hope I get some little veins at least, that would be cool. Do you think air holes in the plastic wrap on top are unnecessary since it can breathe through the shell? Maybe that would help prevent some bacteria.

Is that why you said it didn't work? I was curious. It might very well happen, I just thought it'd be fun to try. I hope I get some little veins at least, that would be cool. Do you think air holes in the plastic wrap on top are unnecessary since it can breathe through the shell? Maybe that would help prevent some bacteria.
I’m not sure. Mine never developed though and bacteria started growing. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Here it was at 28 hours.
20200509_232718_HDR.jpg
20200509_232801_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom