Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
#1, #3, and #4 all look good!
#2, the air cell one that had a lot of bacteria quit over night. I don't think he had much of a shot anyways. I'll probably eggtopsy him later today.
I'm doing a hole in the inner membrane for #1 today, as it's day 17 for her now. If it bleeds a bit when I do the hole is that ok? I'm just worried since the membrane is still laced with veins.
I don't know the answer to this, but when I assisted my two chicks one bled pretty badly after tearing the membrane in struggling. I did pressure with a q-tip but was rather concerned about the amount of loss. The baby made it but seemed to lag behind in development for a few weeks, but now, at just over 8 weeks, is indistinguishable from the others save for the leg band I put on it.

My only suggestion is to coconut oil the membrane well so you can see the veins as clearly as possible, and aim your hole away from them.

Sorry about #2!

I don't know the answer to this, but when I assisted my two chicks one bled pretty badly after tearing the membrane in struggling. I did pressure with a q-tip but was rather concerned about the amount of loss. The baby made it but seemed to lag behind in development for a few weeks, but now, at just over 8 weeks, is indistinguishable from the others save for the leg band I put on it.

My only suggestion is to coconut oil the membrane well so you can see the veins as clearly as possible, and aim your hole away from them.

Sorry about #2!
Thank you! This was helpful. I just did it. I won't be here this evening so I figured doing it now shouldn't be a problem. It went very well, and didn't bleed hardly at all. I had to go through a tiny vein, but it really didn't bleed. Just a teeny spot. I definitely made it through the membrane though. The baby got very active after I made the hole, and seems to be doing great. I applied pressure with a q-tip too, but it wasn't neccesary. Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
I got a pic so you can see my hole. Also, I'm guessing this new white string is embryo wastes? It just showed up between the morning and noon check.
20200818_131408.jpg

Back
Top Bottom