Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
So I can just post pics of their wing feathers after they're fluffed up? Thanks!
Yep, just like this.
0215192109.jpg
This was from my first Project Orpington chick, who was a pullet.

I thought about doing Breese for the same reasons. As someone who has done Frankenbirds, um.... I mean CX before, I wanted to try some more self sustainable meat birds for a change.
I've got 6 Bieles almost 6 weeks old now, and some 10 week old Red Rangers.
The RR I ordered but everything else was hatched here and the goal is to keep a small flock of Bieles and add in some of the RR genetics. The RRs have been raised as regular layer chicks (along with others) and the boys are still huge, but the girls are more like beefy heritage pullets so far and I'm hoping they stick around for a few years. More than likely once the boys turn to buttheads they will go to freezer camp.
I have other breeds I can mix in and out to keep some hybrid vigor, but I was looking to keep a small meat producing flock in addition to my regular layer flock.
Teenagers eat a LOT!

As a whole I find the Bieles not to be the bright bulb in the bunch, but hopefully they will be more impressive once closer to maturity.

How old are yours?
My Bresse will be a year old in October. The roosters haven't even gotten to barely 5 pounds on 22% protein feed, so I'm moving on from the breed.

@MGG Normal when they are absorbing, is it not chewing though?
Breese are used as meat birds, but I wasn't impressed. They are great egg layers though, so I kept a couple hens for the chicken house instead of breeding and got rid of all my Bresse. Now I'm on to Bielefelder raising, they are nice big birds so far.
How do they tast. Supposed to be better than anything else..
Oh I want some Bielefelder so bad. I think my husband might leave me if I get one more breed. Which means one more coop. I have 4 and was just thinking how to improve so there is not so much for my husband to do in the building. For pens 5,6,7 and maybe 8. Shhhhhh, don't tell him.:oops:

It just died sometime in the last 20 minutes :hit
I just was in here 20 minutes ago, and when I came in now, it wasn't moving. I rubbed him, and he didn't respond. So I opened the egg as fast as I could thinking maybe he has just died and I could "resuscitate" him somewhat. I rubbed him with a wash cloth, he's gone. I don't know what happened. He looked so great last time I was in here. He was squirming and yawning.
I'm sorry guys. I can't believe it.
It's abdomen is very swollen and "green". Maybe it had some kind of infection and got mushy chick disease? Idk. I'm so sad. :hit

It just died sometime in the last 20 minutes :hit
I just was in here 20 minutes ago, and when I came in now, it wasn't moving. I rubbed him, and he didn't respond. So I opened the egg as fast as I could thinking maybe he has just died and I could "resuscitate" him somewhat. I rubbed him with a wash cloth, he's gone. I don't know what happened. He looked so great last time I was in here. He was squirming and yawning.
I'm sorry guys. I can't believe it.
It's abdomen is very swollen and "green". Maybe it had some kind of infection and got mushy chick disease? Idk. I'm so sad. :hit

Oh no, I'm so sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom