Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

:hugs
Nothing else you could’ve done. Sometimes they just don’t survive the transition from breathing through the egg to using their respiratory system, even if they seem like they’ve got it to start with. Hard to say if it was truly a yolk infection as the yolks do look strange in light coloured birds, if you look at their abdomen right after hatch (but most don’t remove them still wet, so don’t necessarily see it - I pick up and check/dip navels on everyone if I’m around when they hatch). Hard to know with one right at hatch or close to it, too, because usually you start seeing omphalitis a few days after hatch, once the bacteria overwhelms them. But those eggs aren’t open for part of the incubation process, so not sure how they’d compare. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Thanks Trisseh.
It could have been that he was light colored. I've never had such a light colored chick from my own flock. I still have one light and one dark chick. I hope they make it. What do you dip the navels in? I have triple antibiotic ointment still, maybe if any actuallly hatch I could put that on?
I have a new respect for egg shells now, lol.
Yeah, that's what I've heard too. Idk. Its abdomen was really big and had a greenish tint.
Also, how are your quail eggs doing?

I'm sorry, I knew that's what the gasping meant but I was too chicken to say. Sorry. 🥺
I think it's when the organs are shutting down and the animal is starting the death process. I've seen it in cows, cats, piglets, and chicks. I suppose everything probably does it. Taking their last breaths of air before their lungs shut down. Sorry. :hugs

I think it's when the organs are shutting down and the animal is starting the death process. I've seen it in cows, cats, piglets, and chicks. I suppose everything probably does it. Taking their last breaths of air before their lungs shut down. Sorry. :hugs
Its ok. Thanks.
#3 seems weak. To I dare try to take it out? Theres still a lot of yolk and veins, but he's not very responsive.
20200821_082400.jpg
20200821_081956.jpg

I didn't read all 99 pages so maybe someone already posted this.

Yes, something similar. Thank you very much though.
Can you help me? This poor baby is so weak. I took it out some to try and help it. Is there anything I can do? It's barely breathing.
20200821_083655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom