Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

You need a PFM to change it. It’s a feature PFM members get... Ask a moderator to change it. I’m sure they won’t mind.
Oh ok. So I have to request a mod to do it then.
I would... I wouldn’t cake it on just a little. A little goes a long way with the ointment.
Ok, I will. Thanks.

Last edited:
The yolk did look weird. I used filtered water, Idk. I'm not sure about the oxygen. The fan should be circulating air decently, but I guess it might just not be good enough. Yeah, high school students definitely aren't as sterile as a lab, lol.
Aw, I'm sorry about your quail. They must have gotten really messed up in the post. That's too bad. At least you have one I guess 🤷‍♀️
I'm sure it will be very sweet.
The only other consideration I would add, when putting ointment on with a q-tip, probably better to use a sterile swab. I think you can get them from the pharmacy (I have access through work lol) and that would be one more safety measure to take.
Sterile eye lubricant actually also works really nicely for keeping the membrane moist and it’s meant to stick around for a bit. I’ve used it successfully on assisted hatches. :)

I do think a still air, well controlled incubator would be best for this sort of experiment, too. Too many variables and fluctuations otherwise. :)

yeah, it’s too friendly. Sure it’s lonely :( but it’s so tiny it has to be in a brooder by itself, any other babies I have are way too big and would crush the teeny thing. lol. It’s thriving though so im going to ask around and see if I can find it a similar age friend. :)

The only other consideration I would add, when putting ointment on with a q-tip, probably better to use a sterile swab. I think you can get them from the pharmacy (I have access through work lol) and that would be one more safety measure to take.
Sterile eye lubricant actually also works really nicely for keeping the membrane moist and it’s meant to stick around for a bit. I’ve used it successfully on assisted hatches. :)

I do think a still air, well controlled incubator would be best for this sort of experiment, too. Too many variables and fluctuations otherwise. :)

yeah, it’s too friendly. Sure it’s lonely :( but it’s so tiny it has to be in a brooder by itself, any other babies I have are way too big and would crush the teeny thing. lol. It’s thriving though so im going to ask around and see if I can find it a similar age friend. :)
Thank you! I'll try to find something.
Poor little quail. I'm sure he'll be excited for a friend.

Is there anything else I should try to do for #4? She looks so good right now. She's breathing normally (I can see her chest going up and down) and she's moving her wing and foot a lot. Her eyes are shut though.

I read about clamping off the yolk too. I'm not sure if this would work or not, but I can give nutridrench and stuff and provide feed. I just think it's going to fade and die tomorrow like the other 2.

Assuming it didn't have proper nutrient uptake during incubation and barring a bacterial infection, about all you can do is give some nutridrench. However, if that doesn't give it enough energy to eventually eat and drink on its own, it really doesn't have a chance.

Please consider that had you incubated it normally, there is no guarantee the chick would have hatched anyway.

Assuming it didn't have proper nutrient uptake during incubation and barring a bacterial infection, about all you can do is give some nutridrench. However, if that doesn't give it enough energy to eventually eat and drink on its own, it really doesn't have a chance.

Please consider that had you incubated it normally, there is no guarantee the chick would have hatched anyway.
I did give nutridrench. It swallowed. I put some on it's face too. How often should I give it to the chick?

I'm not sure you are talking about the same chick. Seems odd to give a chick that isn't hatched yet nutidrench

I wouldn’t put anything near a chicks face that isn’t hatched and out yet... chances of aspiration are way too high. Oxygen is more important than additional nutrients when they’re learning to breathe. The yolk contains the nutrients they’d be needing. The earliest I would give anything by mouth would be once it’s out; and only then if it’s particularly dull and not just resting. The only exception to that would be giving antibiotics immediately if they had a ruptured yolk, and that would be injectable. Although I haven’t had one of those survive either, so... 🤷🏼‍♀️
Oh, I didn’t say, I dip the navels in iodine same as I do for calves. Lol. Sorry. :p have to be careful what you put on there though because there’s definitely some “uptake” through the stump.

Back
Top Bottom