Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
Oh wow those are looking good!
I see you have the eggs right up front with a gauge (temp?) on both sides. How are you finding the temps are holding for you? Did you make any adjustments to the settings?

My last batch I placed a govee gauge with bluetooth on the turner and found there were well defined and regular temp fluxuations in temps. They were like clockwork in a 24 hour period so chalked it up to hot/cold spots along the daily trip around the NR360.
Thanks!
Yup, I calibrated both of those gauges and they were spot on. They show daily lows and highs, which is really helpful. The one on the far right always reads 100, even if I switch the 2 thermometer's locations. So the right side in mine is 100 degrees. The left side always reads either 98 or 99. It almost always reads 9 though, So the left side is cooler in mine, but not fatally. The far back is at 98, and the middle under the fan stays 100-101. This is with the temp set at 100.5. I occasionally set it at 101.0, but only if the turner is on. Every other day I unplug the turner for a few hours and put in the thermometers to temp-check. I don't have any thermometers that I can leave in there that don't interfere with the turning. The temps are holding perfectly in the front though. I switch the egg's positions around once a day so they're all evenly heated though.
Anyway, yes there are hot/cool spots, at least in mine.

.....So the left side is cooler in mine, but not fatally. The far back is at 98, and the middle under the fan stays 100-101. This is with the temp set at 100.5. I occasionally set it at 101.0, but only if the turner is on. Every other day I unplug the turner for a few hours and put in the thermometers to temp-check. I don't have any thermometers that I can leave in there that don't interfere with the turning. The temps are holding perfectly in the front though. I switch the egg's positions around once a day so they're all evenly heated though.
Anyway, yes there are hot/cool spots, at least in mine.
Oh, so the turner is plugged in and on? How is that working with them in the TP holders?
It looks like you already have the shelf liner down.

Oh, so the turner is plugged in and on? How is that working with them in the TP holders?
It looks like you already have the shelf liner down.
No, the turner isn't on. I just meant when I have it on for incubating normal eggs. I like having the shelf liner down for when they turn, so I just left it down. It makes the eggs turn easier from what I've seen.
I think if the turner was on the eggs would go splat, lol. I tip them 5 times a day in their little holders.

Yay that they’re all still doing well! :celebrate Definitely harder to see in the air cell opened egg but if I had to guess which one will go furthest it would be that one. But we’ll see! :D
my quail eggs are all pretty bad in general out of this batch so I don’t feel too badly about the one that I tried. A lot had jiggly air cells so I’m guessing they had a rough trip. Next time! Haha. I’ve got plans for ways to make it work better in my incubator. But I was hoping to use eggs from my own birds so I’m not wasting the expensive ones. Lol.

No, the turner isn't on. I just meant when I have it on for incubating normal eggs. I like having the shelf liner down for when they turn, so I just left it down. It makes the eggs turn easier from what I've seen.
I think if the turner was on the eggs would go splat, lol. I tip them 5 times a day in their little holders.
Whew... I thought perhaps I was imagining the worst.... my brain was like ...turner going...with tp tubes...🤯. Lol. Splat would be right! 🤣

I too like putting the liner down from day one. It makes for smoother turning in regular eggs in my batches of XL eggs anyway. And yeah, the turner makes it a little challenging to get a good reading all the way around the turn with conventional gauges. I found my larger Govee not too heavy and will ride along on top (on it's back) ok so long as I have something similar on the other side to ride along for balance.

Yay that they’re all still doing well! :celebrate Definitely harder to see in the air cell opened egg but if I had to guess which one will go furthest it would be that one. But we’ll see! :D
my quail eggs are all pretty bad in general out of this batch so I don’t feel too badly about the one that I tried. A lot had jiggly air cells so I’m guessing they had a rough trip. Next time! Haha. I’ve got plans for ways to make it work better in my incubator. But I was hoping to use eggs from my own birds so I’m not wasting the expensive ones. Lol.
Yeah, the air cell one looked really good. I can see it moving in there when I moisten the air cell membrane, but not very clearly. I think it will go far too. It looks really good.
The one egg that was refrigerated for a day looks the best to me of the opened pointy end ones. Kinda weird, but it does. The embryo looks big, and it has tons of thick veins. It is the most active too. The pics above with the feet showing are of this one.
Hopefully your quail hatch, bad air cells are such a pain. The last time I tried this it was in a Janoel 12, the same kind you have. I kept humidity around 50% and kept the top covered with saran wrap and a rubber band, to hold it on. It was not directly under the fan of course either. I hope you try it again sometime! I will lay the path with mine, lol!

Last edited:
Whew... I thought perhaps I was imagining the worst.... my brain was like ...turner going...with tp tubes...🤯. Lol. Splat would be right! 🤣

I too like putting the liner down from day one. It makes for smoother turning in regular eggs in my batches of XL eggs anyway. And yeah, the turner makes it a little challenging to get a good reading all the way around the turn with conventional gauges. I found my larger Govee not too heavy and will ride along on top (on it's back) ok so long as I have something similar on the other side to ride along for balance.
Lol! Yes, I think it would go very badly. It wouldn't actually do any turning anyway since they're upright. That was a hilarious visual though :lau
Yeah, I do a lot of large eggs so the shelf liner is nice. And all I have to do at lockdown is lift the turner out. I'll read about those Govees more. Don't you have to have a certain kind of phone though?

Lol! Yes, I think it would go very badly. It wouldn't actually do any turning anyway since they're upright. That was a hilarious visual though :lau
Yeah, I do a lot of large eggs so the shelf liner is nice. And all I have to do at lockdown is lift the turner out. I'll read about those Govees more. Don't you have to have a certain kind of phone though?
I have a basic straight talk ($75) smart phone. Any phone that can handle the very simple free app and can receive Bluetooth is all you need. It's the first time I actually used bluetooth (that I know of anyway...lol) so if I can do it anyone can. Directions are super easy.
I got a larger less expensive model because it has a visual read on it, which I wanted for other non incubator use, but there are smaller ones too.

What I like is that it tracks very well and you can look by the hour, day, week, and it charts humidity too. Here's the one I got-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y36FWTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a basic straight talk ($75) smart phone. Any phone that can handle the very simple free app and can receive Bluetooth is all you need. It's the first time I actually used bluetooth (that I know of anyway...lol) so if I can do it anyone can. Directions are super easy.
I got a larger less expensive model because it has a visual read on it, which I wanted for other non incubator use, but there are smaller ones too.

What I like is that it tracks very well and you can look by the hour, day, week, and it charts humidity too. Here's the one I got-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y36FWTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ok that makes sense. Mine's an LG. It doesn't work that great, but it's fine. That's a good looking one. Do the others not have a digital read? I'd like something I can glance at to check. Does it alert you to highs/lows?

Back
Top Bottom